AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Godflesh - Decline & Fall EP: OUT!Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Mothra
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 am  Reply with quote
Board Sherlock

As spotted by chickenf1sh Smile
http://www.clinck.co.jp/merurido/dtl.php?ky=DYMC222

1.Ringer
2.Dogbite
3.Playing With Fire
4.Decline & Fall
+ 2 japan bonus tracks

Release June 4th

Last edited by Mothra on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

my music/label / label #2 /jkb activities / jkb fan blog
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

These are non-album tracks, though no idea about what the bonus tracks are yet...

Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

I'll be waiting for Inoxia to get it Very Happy
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:24 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't the album supposed to be out in May? Did I not read that he just started the vocals recently? JKB time strikes again.

blackmark
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:40 pm  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

they've got a lot of gigs coming up though, maybe he just wants to get them out of the way. at least we might hear new tracks at those Smile

Mothra
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:43 pm  Reply with quote
Board Sherlock

I Don't Need God wrote:

Wasn't the album supposed to be out in May? Did I not read that he just started the vocals recently? JKB time strikes again.

Yeah, now it's around August. There's still talk of the 'in dub' album with Ted on live drums though...

nhtp
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Can't wait to get this. Inoxia style! Although postage to europe is a lot more expensive these days....

slateman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:41 am  Reply with quote
Grey Machines, Dying Ocean, Slateman

Guessing the two Japanese bonus tracks will be alternate mixes/remixes something of the like? This is exciting news!!!

Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:19 am  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.

Maybe one of those Japan bonus tracks is Pure III...
Icarus27
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Good news indeed. There will probably be a Japanese version of the new album also, dare I say with bonus/exclusive tracks.

Looking forward to both releases when they emerge........

desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm  Reply with quote
Swill collector

No Rob Hampson. Sad

But I'll give it a whirl

newbornbabyjesus
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

Great news, looking forward to this.
I know Justin likes Virgin Prunes (i do too). A cover i wonder? Doubt it. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMMHf2mJV1g
spudboy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:44 am  Reply with quote

newbornbabyjesus wrote:
Great news, looking forward to this.
I know Justin likes Virgin Prunes (i do too). A cover i wonder? Doubt it. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMMHf2mJV1g

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
That was my first thought when I saw the title as well!!

He could follow up with covers of "Pagan Lovesong", "Sweet Home Under White Clouds" and, my personal favorite, "Love Lasts Forever (the Lovelornalimbo Mix)"....

Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:56 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

Looks like it will be released on vinyl too!

Godflesh
Decline & Fall
Avalanche
LP
AREC032V
26 May 14

http://www.shellshock.co.uk/product_info.php?selected_cat=AREC032V&artist=Godflesh&Label_filter=Avalanche
Mothra
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:10 am  Reply with quote
Board Sherlock

The catalog number is 32 and the newest release is 27 Exclamation

Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:55 pm  Reply with quote
Where am I?

I noticed that too Shocked Are we going to get a huge rush of music? I don't think my wallet could cope.
Mothra
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:12 pm  Reply with quote
Board Sherlock

Boyd and Fiends wrote:
I noticed that too Shocked Are we going to get a huge rush of music? I don't think my wallet could cope.

I wouldn't think so, AREC020 for exmaple came two years late. Still, good to know something's always happening Smile

theredhog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

I've tried to temper my expectations, but I am stupidly excited about cranking this one up. I do hope it wallops the fuck out of me.
Josh
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:46 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

Mothra wrote:
I Don't Need God wrote:

Yeah, now it's around August. There's still talk of the 'in dub' album with Ted on live drums though...

Really really hope that dub album with Ted happens....

klawful
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

theredhog wrote:
I've tried to temper my expectations, but I am stupidly excited about cranking this one up. I do hope it wallops the fuck out of me.

i'm right with you, man.
dyingofthelightnz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Cautiously excited!

versus_reality
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

I think this is going to kick all sorts of ass. I almost wonder if this ep will throw us off guard- kinda like how Messiah sounded nothing like Selfless though it was recorded roughly in the same time frame. Wouldn't be surprised if Justin threw us a curve ball like that, with the ep sounding nothing like the album!

But with this being the first new Godflesh material in so long, perhaps it will be an indication of what to expect of the album.

Either way, I'm ready.

Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 am  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.

Well here's a little spoiler for those not in the know. GC Green told me that 2 of the tracks were made long ago and just never saw the light of day. I didn't ask which era, but it'll definitely have an old school feel.
slateman
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:54 pm  Reply with quote
Grey Machines, Dying Ocean, Slateman

versus_reality wrote:
kinda like how Messiah sounded nothing like Selfless though it was recorded roughly in the same time frame.

I can say with certainty that just about every GF release sounded completely different from every other one: even within the same time frame. I think you're spot-on.

And if we're in for a lengthy 'reunion'...not just these tours and a one-and-done LP run, I imagine it'll just carry the 'crushing' concept in common.

TBH, I hated the bouncy/swingy feel of SOLAH and onwards. I yearn for the cold, mechanical, grey feeling of everything up through Selfless. Even all these years later, I can't stand the '96-> era GF.

Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:20 am  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.

Love & Hate could've been been better as an EP. First 4 tracks + Angel Domain + Frail = Perfection. Rest of the album was filler.
theredhog
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:43 am  Reply with quote

Time changes your perspective of course, but nowadays I love the whole Godflesh back-catalogue for different reasons. All of it. Bits here and there didn't sit right at the time, and I keep Selfless and Streetcleaner closer to heart then the rest, but if I was off out for a walk tonight and was told I had a random GF release to accompany me on my way, I'd be more than good with whatever landed.
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:39 pm  Reply with quote
Swill collector

I concur, Slateman. Though I think the problem wasn't with the pronounced hip-hop and funk influence; Bombastic hip-hop electronic programming merging with rock tropes was at the vanguard of music in 1996. The problem was the removal of Godflesh's experimental minimalism aesthetic. Perhaps that's what you're referring to as the "cold, grey" sound. They seemed to jump way too earnestly onto the rap-rock/electronica dance party train that was about to leave the station. It ultimately spelled the beginning of the end for Godflesh.

Now if the album would have focused on exploring variations of this:

Link To The YouTube Page Containing The Above Video

(ala Ice/Techno Animal at the time), it would have been genius. Cold, grey, and pummeling electronic groove. So more intermingling of Sterile Prophet, Time, Death, and Wastefulness, and Gift from Heaven [Breakbeat]. Less proto-nu-metal Roots, Bloody Rootsishness.

Elricj
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:21 pm  Reply with quote
Burning Outside

Man, I hardly EVER agree with desu evol yaw, but Love & Hate was the only release I didn't like when it dropped.

IN DUB tho, I thought was excellent - changing up most of what I hated about the regular LP.

I liked Us & Them just fine, but I can understand why others don't enjoy it.

Hymns suffers from the original mix & production and a handful of weaker tracks, The re-release helps the mix/production but can't fix a couple bad tracks - luckily it's offset by the few really good cuts. If this had been an EP...

I'm very interested in what time period these 2 cuts are from, I love Messiah, so here's hoping?
Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:20 am  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.

Elricj wrote:
Man, I hardly EVER agree with desu evol yaw, but Love & Hate was the only release I didn't like when it dropped.

IN DUB tho, I thought was excellent - changing up most of what I hated about the regular LP.

I liked Us & Them just fine, but I can understand why others don't enjoy it.

Hymns suffers from the original mix & production and a handful of weaker tracks, The re-release helps the mix/production but can't fix a couple bad tracks - luckily it's offset by the few really good cuts. If this had been an EP...

I'm very interested in what time period these 2 cuts are from, I love Messiah, so here's hoping?

Love & Hate definitely was the precursor to nu-metal. I'll really have to give In Dub more of a chance soon. I just didn't bother finishing it because of the fact that Love & Hate had so much filler, and like I said earlier, should've been an EP.

Us & Them is vastly underrated. Knock off tracks 3-5 and you've got a perfect album. By the way, did it get remastered for that box set featuring the S/T and Selfless? I don't think it needed it, but still curious.

Almost bought Hymns earlier at the record store, but I'll probably sooner get it off of iTunes. Unless someone convinces me to buy the disc. I'm also planning to buy the S/T box set next as that's a better deal than getting Hymns for the same price from my local record store.

I really wish I had asked G.C. what era those two were from. He did say the other two featured basslines he never used from way back when. Didn't mention anything about the bonus tracks.
Soothsayer Recordings
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

theredhog wrote:
Time changes your perspective of course, but nowadays I love the whole Godflesh back-catalogue for different reasons. All of it. Bits here and there didn't sit right at the time, and I keep Selfless and Streetcleaner closer to heart then the rest, but if I was off out for a walk tonight and was told I had a random GF release to accompany me on my way, I'd be more than good with whatever landed.

I agree with Harvey for the most part. My first Godflesh record was selfless though I didn't discover it until early '96 prior to solah coming out. I was hooked on xnoybis. It seems like selfless was the beginning of an era in godflesh where they were trying not be what they were. I remember reading the articles and interviews how they hated the industrial metal tag and referred to their current operations (selfless, solah) as excursions in ROCK music. well that's fine but if you're going to use a drum machine and samples and such why not call a spade a spade, there was a glimmer of that industrial edge in selfless (the textures in crush my soul), the demixes on merciless obviously, and those heavy machines at the beginning of track 1 (wake) on solah were reminiscent of slavestate - blatant industrial metal stylings.

Not sure why there's so much antipathy toward solah on here. it's a great record and probably the last great thing they did. This album was a smashing success in terms of fusing hip hop and urban flavor with godflesh without sounding like nu metal, there are no korn riffs in this record, wake comes off like a hardcore tune, hunter should've been on rock radio... rage against the machine would've blushed, gift from heaven was my fave, and even though I prefer godflesh without a drummer, brain mantia brought something to the table on this. great record, love every tune!

us and them was cool conceptually and had a few good tunes but just didn't cut the mustard. the amen tune I , me, mine was ok. the title track sounded like streetcleaner - there's your cold sound slateman, but the tune sampling the humpty dance and defiled where he was almost wrapping, plus the tune with the korn riff were too much for me. this should have been an ep

I don't like hymns, it's too tame, like the intro in defeated, hate the body of the song, I confess to liking the anthem track but how can this be godflesh?? it's not, should've been a jesu tune but still it sounds like a nod to mainstream rock radio

Soothsayer Recordings
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

clarification, when I say hunter should've been on rock radio, I mean it sounds like a rage or deftones track with some clever enhanced synthetic drum machine mechanics, when I say anthem sounds like rock radio I mean it sounds like a power ballad sappy sell out complete with a country intro that could've been written by Dwight yoakam Wink albeit release on a music for nations subsidiary or whatever...

doomride
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

I like all Godflesh...even Hymns...I don't give a shit what it's supposed to sound like or if it wasn't cold and pummeling enough or whatever...old stuff vs new stuff blah blah...love machines,love what Hampson brought,love what Brain brought,love what Parsons,brought...love what all of them brought to the table...and I'm pretty damn sure I'll like the new shit....bring it on...

decalaced
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

doomride wrote:
I like all Godflesh...even Hymns...I don't give a shit what it's supposed to sound like or if it wasn't cold and pummeling enough or whatever...old stuff vs new stuff blah blah...love machines,love what Hampson brought,love what Brain brought,love what Parsons,brought...love what all of them brought to the table...and I'm pretty damn sure I'll like the new shit....bring it on...

This!!!
InDub
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

Love & Hate In Dub was the first GF album that really caught my ear, and I still listen Us & Them more than any other GF album besides Streetcleaner (though Messiah gets a fair amount of spin too).

Hymns, however, just sounds bad -- the vocals are too dry and upfront, and the guitar sounds too crisp and crackly. The remaster is worth getting solely for the demos cd, though, which makes for a great ep. It's really a shame that the label forced them into the studio with Richardson instead of letting them make the album on their own. That would've made for a much MUCH better album.

Really looking forward to the new material. They're playing so well these days.
decalaced
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

I love Hymns.
I say it whenever it comes up which is often.
It's Godflesh making a rock album. It's clean, it's heavy and it's got some brilliant songs on there.
I listen to it often.
Yay - Hymns.
doomride
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:29 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

decalaced wrote:
I love Hymns.
It's Godflesh making a rock album. It's clean, it's heavy and it's got some brilliant songs on there.
I listen to it often.
Yay - Hymns.

Agreed....we are definitely in the minority...

yourenotevil
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 am  Reply with quote

doomride wrote:
decalaced wrote:
I love Hymns.
I listen to it often.
Yay - Hymns.

Agreed....we are definitely in the minority...

i love hymns. us and them was not good and songs of love and hate only had a few good songs on it. they closed out their initial run with a banger after some subpar albums IMO.
theredhog
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 am  Reply with quote

I've never felt good about the whole SoLaH = Godflesh drifting into nu-metal. It's revisionism at its worst. What I do recall is Selfless coming out and being different by dint of a wholly digital recording and mixing process which preceded the likes of Demanufacture which were lauded for same, by which point GF moved on to a very different sound for the next record.

At least that's how it played out at the time. I can get why people would listen to the records no and create an alternative version of events though.
yourenotevil
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:10 am  Reply with quote

theredhog wrote:
I've never felt good about the whole SoLaH = Godflesh drifting into nu-metal. It's revisionism at its worst. What I do recall is Selfless coming out and being different by dint of a wholly digital recording and mixing process which preceded the likes of Demanufacture which were lauded for same, by which point GF moved on to a very different sound for the next record.

At least that's how it played out at the time. I can get why people would listen to the records no and create an alternative version of events though.

selfless was actually the first record i heard and really loved it(this was a few years after it came out) so i got into the band from a different angle than most people on here probably. i worked my back through the earlier catalog and have always liked hymns. honestly, i don't get why it is so hated.
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:18 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

Hymns is the best record Unsane never made.
Listen to the remasters, you know it's true. Very Happy

SoLaH = ok, but too wobbly
Us & Them = Massive

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial