AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Godflesh - Decline & Fall EP: OUT!Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
decalaced
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:36 am  Reply with quote

It's weird cos when SoLaH came out I was SO excited to hear a more organic version of Godflesh. Dunno why but I thought it might have been cool.
It's probably the album I listen to least though. Not because the songs suck (because I really like them) but because it kinda sounds like mush. It's a tiring album to listen to.
LaHiD is incredible though.
I reckon there was a brilliant album halfway between the two.
Arguably the production job Hymns got would have suited SoLaH better.
Best Godflesh album since Selfless was probably the Jesu S/T Smile
Bernard
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:08 am  Reply with quote

I loved SoLaH when it came out and still love it even though I'm not entirely satisfied with its "production".

I don't get this nu-metal stuff. I never ever thought it sounded close to anything released by Korn or Deftones or Limp Bizkit at that time. I still don't know from where this nonsense comes.

The new EP is also available at amazon.fr so it is already orderer now!

Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:23 am  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.

Bernard wrote:
I don't get this nu-metal stuff. I never ever thought it sounded close to anything released by Korn or Deftones or Limp Bizkit at that time. I still don't know from where this nonsense comes.

It's mainly "Wake."
elrrek
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:05 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

theredhog wrote:
I keep Selfless and Streetcleaner closer to heart then the rest

I haven't read the "newest" post to me, I just read this one.

I probably don't need to read the rest because they will most likely be fasle when compared to this statement.

Unless you're Doom-ster.
Or Avo.
Or another guy called Mike.

These guys are not faslers.

Like Josh (he's a fasler).

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
Bernard
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Bleed Dry Mankind wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It's mainly "Wake."
So, for example, we could also say Prong was nu-metal at that time!

When I hear 'Wake' I hear nothing "nu", I hear just a Godflesh song with a new (at that time) approach.

This discussion took already place a few times anyway. Everyone has his favorite Godflesh period, albums, etc.

For me the important thing is the high level of anticipation for the new Godflesh releases to come. And since the "reunion" they didn't disappoint on stage (saw them five times in the last 4 years), except maybe during their comeback concert at Hellfest 2010. So I have good hopes.

avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:41 pm  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

I agree with Bernard.

I can't find any new metal references in SoLaH either. But that is maybe because I never bothered with Korn and anything related.

I have high hopes for the new record as well. I'm not expecting it to blow my mind like Streetcleaner or Selfless did back then, so I would be satisfied if it's a good JKB album.

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial
InDub
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

A facebook comment from JKB:

New GODFLESH EP 'Decline & Fall' on June 2nd!!!!!! New LP 'A World Lit Only By Fire' late Sept, both on my label Avalanche Recs. More info soon....
doomride
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:13 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

Bernard wrote:
Bleed Dry Mankind wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It's mainly "Wake."
So, for example, we could also say Prong was nu-metal at that time!

When I hear 'Wake' I hear nothing "nu", I hear just a Godflesh song with a new (at that time) approach.

This discussion took already place a few times anyway. Everyone has his favorite Godflesh period, albums, etc.

For me the important thing is the high level of anticipation for the new Godflesh releases to come. And since the "reunion" they didn't disappoint on stage (saw them five times in the last 4 years), except maybe during their comeback concert at Hellfest 2010. So I have good hopes.

Totally agree with this....I never understood the whole "nu" tag when it came to some of the later period stuff...I just don't hear it...

Kerr=always trve

Bleed Dry Mankind
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:55 pm  Reply with quote
Sex. Violence. Whatever.

I could break it down a little further since I went through a nu-metal phase, but I think it'd be beating a dead horse at this rate. Nu-metal doesn't always equal bad. I'll just say again that Love & Hate would've been a great 6 song EP. The only time I really hear any kind of nu-metal on Us & Them is on Nail. Still haven't listened to Hymns, and it may be awhile before I do.
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:37 pm  Reply with quote
Swill collector

SoLaH approaches a nu-metal style in terms of rhythm on some of the tracks and aligns itself with it in terms of concept, hip-hop meets heavy metal guitar. The guitars themselves weren't really so much nu-metal as Broadrick drones more than he chug-a-lugs.

The band that really laid the groundwork for nu-metal was Sepultura with 'Roots, Bloody Roots.' More traditional metal with all these heavy rhythmic breakdowns and squealing grinding guitars. I did think "Wake" sounded a lot like Sepultura when it came out.

doomride
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Meh...as I get older, I care less and less about genre tags...never really gave a shit in the first place....there is a bunch of music out there...you either like it or you don't...end of story...

theredhog
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

doomride wrote:
Meh...as I get older, I care less and less about genre tags...never really gave a shit in the first place....there is a bunch of music out there...you either like it or you don't...end of story...

Amen.
Runabout120
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:29 pm  Reply with quote
Ĝ-Ĝ-Ĝ-Ĝ

Quote:

I don't care about genres since Earache tagged Godflesh as grindcore Rolling Eyes

For me every act of music is experimental and abstract in itself

I can't wait to hear the new GF tracks, so i believe in Justin's skill .
yourenotevil
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:17 am  Reply with quote

as far as nu metal goes, i think the bands that really pioneered that sound were taking their cues from sepultura more than godflesh. the first records by korn and the deftones came out before SOLAH. on the other hand, i could care less about most of what passes for nu metal.
S-Priest
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:21 pm  Reply with quote
Occultist Cook

[quote="Bleed Dry Mankind"]
Elricj wrote:
Man, I hardly EVER agree with desu evol yaw, but Love & Hate was the only release I didn't like when it dropped.

IN DUB tho, I thought was excellent - changing up most of what I hated about the regular LP.

I liked Us & Them just fine, but I can understand why others don't enjoy it.

Hymns suffers from the original mix & production and a handful of weaker tracks, The re-release helps the mix/production but can't fix a couple bad tracks - luckily it's offset by the few really good cuts. If this had been an EP...

I'm very interested in what time period these 2 cuts are from, I love Messiah, so here's hoping?

Well since everyone's quoting their reasons to love and hate...

"Hymns" IMHO played worse than its own demos. The demos had that rough-and-raw feel which the full album lost. Nothing new there, often the first takes are the best. "Hymns" suffered from a certain confusion in style, according to Justin at the time it sounded heavy - to him. It was more on the light side, though there're great moments (the hidden track and "Anthem", though again the demo was better).

"SoLaH" is one of those divisory albums that people either throw rotten vegetables at or love, apparently. Frankly, it's all strong. That it uses hip-hop rhythms and samples some rapper or another on "Hunter" doesn't make it any weak at all. It's a trippy, powerful album. "Slavestate" was similar in its use of electronics - putting hardcore metalheads off, perhaps. But it's trippy and powerful and divine, which is what Godflesh is about.

"SoLaH in Dub" is a bit more of a curio, it's good to feel stoned perhaps, and there're masterpieces like "Domain" which just lead right (if you know what it means with regards to magical focus).

"Us and Them", on the other hand, was weird. It might've been better if those tracks like "Nail" were rearranged. But then again, it's all Justin's gig and his own style ruminations. The first three tracks on that album, and the last two are wonderful, but the impressions from what was in-between always were a tad crass. Pity the dub counterpart album was never released, the dub version of "Us and Them" was awesome.

Looking back though, the whole catalogue is great. And in a way, say, "Selfless" plays as a flip side to "Messiah": "Messiah" is warm and full of hope and sun, "Selfless" is bleak and hopeless (with an exception for "Xnoybis" and "Mantra" and the dreamy CD bonus track - try falling asleep to it).

"Pure" had always been a personal favourite (going as far as to call it the best 90s album), even though Justin sort of hated it for the flat digital 8-track sound (but then that added itself to the raw machine power/bleakness, maybe, and perhaps it's what some folks miss).

Last edited by S-Priest on Fri May 09, 2014 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

S-Priest
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:26 pm  Reply with quote
Occultist Cook

Runabout120 wrote:
Quote:

I don't care about genres since Earache tagged Godflesh as grindcore :eyeroll:

For me every act of music is experimental and abstract in itself

I can't wait to hear the new GF tracks, so i believe in Justin's skill .

"Perverted rock", according to Justin's own definition 8)

Accurate, isn't it?

Ah well...

Back on the other topic, "Songs of Love and Hate" actually isn't entirely "organic", Brian Mantia dubbed his own drumkit over the drum machine. If you listen carefully, you can hear "chorused" cymbals/hi-hats here and there - the sampler and the live takes don't match exactly. That's the reason for that album's particular "organic yet fleshy" sound - it's half man/half machine.

Soothsayer Recordings
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

sepulture roots came out after korn, cavalera was heavily influenced by the first korn record, roots was produced by colin Richardson I'm pretty sure. bingo

songs of love and hate is definitely hip hop fusionist and urban leaning in many respects but it's not nu metal, "kingdom come" is probably the most fusionist track on the record and it's nothing like nu metal save the sample yet heavy as fuck.

wake is essentially a hardcore tune with some industrial machines percussion in the intro, much more a hardcore vibe than anything nu metal

now us and them does have some korn grooves in it, they shouldn't have done that, no need to should've kept it their way

unsane recording hymns? how do you figure? just because they recorded "stuck" doesn't mean they'd put anything out that tame, I've seen Unsane 6 times, wreck was my LP of 2012

yourenotevil
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Soothsayer Recordings wrote:
sepulture roots came out after korn, cavalera was heavily influenced by the first korn record, roots was produced by colin Richardson I'm pretty sure. bingo

songs of love and hate is definitely hip hop fusionist and urban leaning in many respects but it's not nu metal, "kingdom come" is probably the most fusionist track on the record and it's nothing like nu metal save the sample yet heavy as fuck.

wake is essentially a hardcore tune with some industrial machines percussion in the intro, much more a hardcore vibe than anything nu metal

now us and them does have some korn grooves in it, they shouldn't have done that, no need to should've kept it their way

unsane recording hymns? how do you figure? just because they recorded "stuck" doesn't mean they'd put anything out that tame, I've seen Unsane 6 times, wreck was my LP of 2012

roots was definitely their most "nu metal" sounding album, but i also meant chaos ad. that album definitely influenced korn, the deftones and a lot of bands playing heavy music at the time. it didn't have the same sound as roots, but they were definitely heading in that direction and i kind of blame that album for inspiring a lot of bands to make shitty music.
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:23 pm  Reply with quote
Swill collector

yourenotevil wrote:

roots was definitely their most "nu metal" sounding album, but i also meant chaos ad. that album definitely influenced korn, the deftones and a lot of bands playing heavy music at the time. it didn't have the same sound as roots, but they were definitely heading in that direction and i kind of blame that album for inspiring a lot of bands to make shitty music.

'Chaos AD' was the last metal album I bought before getting into experimental music with Godflesh for the first time with 'Merciless' and 'Selfless.' They abandoned the thrash for the trendy groove metal happening at the time. Never really listened to metal again, ultimately a wise decision.

InDub
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

More info dribbling out in JKB's facebook comments:

The GODFLESH EP will be on the Avalanche Recordings Bandcamp, just like the last jesu album was - limited copies of both the CD and Vinyl edition, but digital will come free with the bonus (hidden) tracks that will appear on the Daymare domestic Japanese release. Of course the EP will be available worldwide in stores and online, and the digital will be available without the bonus tracks via itunes, emusic, spotify, rdio, etc etc etc...

By the digital coming free i of course mean that upon purchase of either the vinyl or CD the digital will be available for immediate download! The digital can be bought separately too...
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:26 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?

That is good news that we don't have to buy the Daymare version to get the Japanese bonus tracks!

JKB via FB wrote:
New GODFLESH EP 'Decline & Fall' on June 2nd!!!!!! New LP 'A World Lit Only By Fire' late Sept, both on my label Avalanche Recs. More info soon....

Now, the first world problems kick in. I hope one is able to order the physical releases via the Avalanche bandcamp before June 2nd as I will be on a long haul flight! By the time I land it may all be sold out lol
Soothsayer Recordings
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:45 am  Reply with quote

Boyd and Fiends wrote:
That is good news that we don't have to buy the Daymare version to get the Japanese bonus tracks!

JKB via FB wrote:

Now, the first world problems kick in. I hope one is able to order the physical releases via the Avalanche bandcamp before June 2nd as I will be on a long haul flight! By the time I land it may all be sold out lol

I already ordered the Japanese release off ebay, durn

avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:39 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

My post was probably not quite clear, sorry. I figured that Hymns is, at least to me, essentially a classic noise rock record. Way more than a classic industrial metal album. It works amazingly well back-to-back with Wreck or Visqueen by Unsane.

I found this especially noticable in the remastered version. The whole sound and feel remidend me so much of later Unsane.

www.lusca.de
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:40 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

Mysterious double post.

I'll take the time to say that Josh's a twonk.

www.lusca.de
elrrek
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:18 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

avocado diaboli wrote:
Mysterious double post.

+1

There's nothing mysterious about it though. The universe abhors a vacuum, a vacuum being the absence of someone stating that Josh is a twonk, therefore the universe dealt with it.

Therefore, Josh Woshy Yoja Pants is a twonk.

avocado diaboli wrote:
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:42 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

elrrek wrote:
avocado diaboli wrote:
Mysterious double post.

+1

There's nothing mysterious about it though. The universe abhors a vacuum, a vacuum being the absence of someone stating that Josh is a twonk, therefore the universe dealt with it.

Your understanding of science never fails to amaze me.

www.lusca.de
blackmark
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:24 am  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

so that's the day before they play in leeds, hopefully they'll have some physical copies there too. Smile

elrrek
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:36 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

blackmark wrote:
so that's the day before they play in leeds, hopefully they'll have some physical copies there too. Smile

LOOOOOOOOL!

Most positive, hopeful and funny post of the year so far!

avocado diaboli wrote:
doomride
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

avocado diaboli wrote:
elrrek wrote:
avocado diaboli wrote:
Mysterious double post.

+1

I just wanted to come here and reiterate the fact that Josh is indeed a massive twonk...

elrrek
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:22 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

doomride wrote:
avocado diaboli wrote:
elrrek wrote:
avocado diaboli wrote:
Mysterious double post.

+1

I just wanted to come here and reiterate the fact that Josh is indeed a massive twonk...

Good job man.
Well executed.

avocado diaboli wrote:
yourenotevil
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

desu evol yaw wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

'Chaos AD' was the last metal album I bought before getting into experimental music with Godflesh for the first time with 'Merciless' and 'Selfless.' They abandoned the thrash for the trendy groove metal happening at the time. Never really listened to metal again, ultimately a wise decision.

you missed out, there was tons of great metal in the 90s like death metal, black metal, etc.
Josh
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:05 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

elrrek wrote:
doomride wrote:
avocado diaboli wrote:
elrrek wrote:
avocado diaboli wrote:
Mysterious double post.

+1

Good job man.
Well executed.

Well I appreciate all the attention you ladies are lavishing upon me, I would be remiss if I did not point out that my impeccable taste and good looks elevate me well past Townkdom.

elrrek
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Oooohhhhh. Hark at Lady Twonkenheim! Princess of Twonkonia!

avocado diaboli wrote:
klawful
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:15 am  Reply with quote

this is shocking. i came in to find out most current news on the subject matter listed in the thread title, and nothing of the sort seems to be at hand.

does this happen here often?
blipseed
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:55 am  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?

I think the info you require is all there, you just need to crack the twonk code. I've been analyzing the input of several board members for a number of years now and am nearing a breakthrough. I'll keep you informed.

klawful
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

this is good news.

i heard rumors of some kind of top secret machine, the twonkigma, which could crack the code wide open.
blipseed
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

But anyway, this new EP business. I think the thread, in between various twonk related detours, became the latest in a long line of retrospectives of the GF catalogue, which is always interesting. I concur with the disdain for labeling, whatever the era I don't think Godflesh have ever sat too snugly in any niche, so it's pointless talk. I even realized I don't even know what nu-metal is.

I've spent the last two weeks listening solidly to the Flesh to see where my thoughts lay and whether I'm excited about this or not and came to a few conclusions. It's a given for me that the first two albums (ST and Streetcleaner) are amongst the finest albums ever recorded. I listen to both regularly and still get as much out of them as I did 25 years ago. Even now I hear new "things" when I listen to them loud with headphones. I think coming at them from a more industrial/noise/alternative background back then I appreciated the abstract nature of those two albums, full on rhythm section but crazy buzzing layers of guitar noise and feedback. You really had to listen to pick the chuggy riffs. Slavestate was a departure but still with the anti-metal guitar. Slateman and Cold World introduced the more epic melodic rock side of the band, both of which hooked me too. At this point Godflesh had solidly positioned themselves as my favourite band.

Then there was Pure. I still like Pure. About half of it I like, half I can give or take. I remember rushing home with the LP when I got it and the confusion when Spite kicked in. Not only was this a chuggah-chuggah Godflesh that had shown up, it was one that came up with less than awesome riffs in some cases. Which sadly stayed around through most of the ensuing releases. Still, I didn't hate it by any means. Independent Worm Saloon still remains the most disappointing album of all time for me.

Roll on Selfless. At this point I was listening to a lot of industrial and electronica. The odd bits of metal had gone to the bottom of the pile. I hated Selfless. Hated the sound of it, hated the bass sound, hated the melodies, hated everything about it. Probably two songs I would consider extracting for ongoing listening. I always find it odd that I'm in such a minority on this one, I go back every so often to see if I'm wrong but no, I'm always right.

Then second oddity. I really like SOLAH. It's not perfect and there are definitely a few meh tracks, but it has my head nodding and my foot tapping all the way through. It's got a swing no other release has and I generally like the hybrid live/programmed drums. There are also a couple of absolute ripper tracks on there that hold up with anything they've done post Streetcleaner. It's sort of metal but not really. The guitar had become too straight on Selfless and that pretty much never changed. The problem for me is the quality of the songs. If I want to listen to some epic riffing Godflesh is not the place to find it, things were getting a bit basic, uninspired and unimaginative. Not all the time but a lot of the time. LAHID was a refreshing breather and an unexpected treat when it came out. It's not perfect by any means and some of the songs I much prefer the originals but it's a good listen. Us And Them was a glorious failure, ambitious but not enough quality to make it a great album. A handful of keepers only. Hymns is plain awful. Creatively they had reached a brick wall, there's really nothing positive I can think of to say about it. Even the lyrics still make me cringe.

I've got my fingers crossed that the guys will come up with something new but more of the aesthetic of the first two albums. I want to hear feedback and layers of buzz. If there's a riff to be had I want Life Is Easy rather than I Me Mine. I'll be chuffed and happy to welcome the Flesh back into my listening rotation with something other than ST/SC/SS. Either way its great to be hearing something new rather than nothing at all and I'll be first in line.

To summarise, princess twonkella was a twonk. And twonked the twonk with a twonk.

blipseed
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

klawful wrote:
this is good news.

i heard rumors of some kind of top secret machine, the twonkigma, which could crack the code wide open.

Damn. I waste a fair portion of a spell writing an incredibly waffle-laden post about one mans journey through the repertoire of the Godflesh only to be stunned with news like this.

S-Priest
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:35 pm  Reply with quote
Occultist Cook

"Selfless" was always the sort of weird moody album that only fits in sometimes. It's too skeletal, not enough of a goodish guitar flesh over it, too bare/monotonous. There're wonderful songs on it though ("Xnoybis", "Crush My Soul", "Mantra"). It kind of makes more sense with the "Merciless" bonus disc (which is what I'd gotten years ago, in the past century, heh).

"Hymns" could've been great (listen to the demos), but production killed it. And the moral is, don't let production waste your album if you've got any originality. "Production" sucks for really original artists, it kills off the intent. Commit it as it is, hot off the first attempt. The more you muddle up the record with mixing, remixing, mastering, "getting a polished sound", etc., the more it will sound as you and your confusion off all of it. In the moment of doing so.

The danger when something doesn't work out intuitively is exactly that. The first mix is usually the best; afterwards one simply runs out of inspiration, and getting it re-done is dumb.

doomride
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

KRACKHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!