AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  AWLOBF = Selfless 2.0Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:48 pm  Reply with quote
Where am I?

The more I listen to 'A World Lit Only By Fire' the more I find it's a contemporary version of Selfless. Both albums to my ears have a few gems here and there but the 'rock' elements overpower. Maybe in a few more months I'll get into AWLOBF but it really ain't happening at the moment.
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

What a terrible accusation! sniggering
I think there's a lot more minimal brutality, like the early stuff, than 'rock' and the 'rock' influences that are most obvious sound like Killing Joke, Cable Regime & black metal which is not the Selfless sound at all.

elrrek
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:42 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

To an extent, I will agree with this idea.

Black metal influence in AWLOBF though? Sorry, I'm not getting that at all.

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:36 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

elrrek wrote:
To an extent, I will agree with this idea.

Black metal influence in AWLOBF though? Sorry, I'm not getting that at all.

Go and have another listen to "Obeyed" - that dissonant trebly guitar sound is definitely BM-influenced to my ears.

doomride
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

Another thread about the rock n roll band called Godflesh??? This place really is falling apart...

klawful
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

I can get the selfless-world comparison. there are plenty of differences, but just the straight forward metally tunes are enough to put them together withing all the range that gf has.

it's not a mark against it in my book, for all the jokes, I like Selfless a good deal. Just the middle of the new album doesn't do too much for me personally, starts strong, ends amazing. that's enough for me to consider it a pretty decent entry in the catalog.

shart
doomride
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:34 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane

shart sniggering

chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:39 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

fart! :poohorse:

yourenotevil
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

honestly, i haven't really listened to it since it came out. i think that is when they toured here and i was listening to a lot of GF in general, but that album didn't really grab me all that much, even though i thought it was pretty solid for a reunion album.
kungfusocks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:21 am  Reply with quote

I don't really comment much on Justin's work. The new album didn't grab me either. I heard the Messiah references, which was ok.
Maybe the album was a bit rushed due to it being a reunion album, so the next one should be better than awolbf. Hopefully.

Oh, and only the Slavestate ep's are trve.

tomb
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

It's really a combination of bits of all the previous albums if you ask me... Perhaps the perceived Selfless-ness stems from the tight guitars and dry production, and relative lack of hip-hop / dnb beats & samples.

I had it blasting in the car earlier - the bass sounded immense and I certainly enjoyed it, but like a lot of comeback albums, or arguably anything after *any* bands first couple of LPs, I think it suffers from a lack of something I can only call "mystique", especially when compared to, say, Streetcleaner or S/T. I reckon you could say the same about, say, Killing Joke's Absolute Dissent compared to What's THIS for! or the latest Carcass vs Reek or Symphonies...

...I reckon what makes all of those early records classics is the combination of a band still exploring and trying to find its sound, and that sound being outside the comfort zone of recording engineers (and everybody else) involved (leading to the unique sounds of the records and the underlying aura of experimentation)...

As soon as there's an established way to make such a record sound (which there was when Justin was making AWLOBF in 2014, but obviously not when he made Streetcleaner in 88 or whatever) I think something disappears and whilst a record might be strong, it's never quite the same...
klawful
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

well put,, tomb
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:45 pm  Reply with quote
Swill collector

The main problem is Justin is too conscious of his own body of work. The album is a Frankenstein's monster of the various Godflesh modes of past, but uninspired and fails to come from the authentic human core that naturally and naively produces the great transcendent works of art. You know, this word 'brutal' gets tossed around all the time in reference to Godflesh and I never thought that was their modus operandi. They were never dunderheaded like Slayer. 'Sordid' and 'brutally honest' were their forte like Swans used to be.

yourenotevil
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

tomb wrote:
It's really a combination of bits of all the previous albums if you ask me... Perhaps the perceived Selfless-ness stems from the tight guitars and dry production, and relative lack of hip-hop / dnb beats & samples.

I had it blasting in the car earlier - the bass sounded immense and I certainly enjoyed it, but like a lot of comeback albums, or arguably anything after *any* bands first couple of LPs, I think it suffers from a lack of something I can only call "mystique", especially when compared to, say, Streetcleaner or S/T. I reckon you could say the same about, say, Killing Joke's Absolute Dissent compared to What's THIS for! or the latest Carcass vs Reek or Symphonies...

...I reckon what makes all of those early records classics is the combination of a band still exploring and trying to find its sound, and that sound being outside the comfort zone of recording engineers (and everybody else) involved (leading to the unique sounds of the records and the underlying aura of experimentation)...

As soon as there's an established way to make such a record sound (which there was when Justin was making AWLOBF in 2014, but obviously not when he made Streetcleaner in 88 or whatever) I think something disappears and whilst a record might be strong, it's never quite the same...

i agree to a certain extent, but i would argue that a band like napalm death can be the exception to that rule, as their last two albums are just as good as the stuff they were first putting out with barney on vocals. i am probably in the minority on this board in feeling this way, but there is only so much you can do as a band when you have a drum machine.
tomb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 pm  Reply with quote

desu evol yaw wrote:
The main problem is Justin is too conscious of his own body of work. The album is a Frankenstein's monster of the various Godflesh modes of past, but uninspired and fails to come from the authentic human core that naturally and naively produces the great transcendent works of art. You know, this word 'brutal' gets tossed around all the time in reference to Godflesh and I never thought that was their modus operandi. They were never dunderheaded like Slayer. 'Sordid' and 'brutally honest' were their forte like Swans used to be.

Yeah I kinda agree. Somebody mentioned a while back that Streetcleaner would be better if the guitars were heavier, and whilst I do kinda sympathise (i always thought the second side of my vinyl had terrible IGD until I heard the CD) i'me not sure a big chunky metal sound would improve things... It works because it's unique and visceral rather than stereotypical.

Going back to my point about artists declining after their first few releases, I'd probably say Bowie is a good counter example (although he obviously hit the buffers badly in the 80s). Like him or not, something like 'Low' just erases everything he'd done before and sets out into uncharted lands all over again. I read that they weren't e even sure they'd end up with a usable record, which is surely the best way to approach making an album...
yourenotevil
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

tomb wrote:
desu evol yaw wrote:

Yeah I kinda agree. Somebody mentioned a while back that Streetcleaner would be better if the guitars were heavier, and whilst I do kinda sympathise (i always thought the second side of my vinyl had terrible IGD until I heard the CD) i'me not sure a big chunky metal sound would improve things... It works because it's unique and visceral rather than stereotypical.

Going back to my point about artists declining after their first few releases, I'd probably say Bowie is a good counter example (although he obviously hit the buffers badly in the 80s). Like him or not, something like 'Low' just erases everything he'd done before and sets out into uncharted lands all over again. I read that they weren't e even sure they'd end up with a usable record, which is surely the best way to approach making an album...

i think it is also due to the fact that an artist usually has the longest amount of time to decide what he ultimately wants on his first record. he throws out the bad shit and records the songs that are the strongest. a lot of bands end up using their earlier stuff on their second record as well. then they are usually rushed into the next album and hence the drop off in quality from 1st to 2nd to 3rd album. some bands just don't even ever make a good second record.
golem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

www.myspace.com/proudpilot
yourenotevil
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

golem wrote:

haha, is this directed to me or OP? either way, i got a chuckle out of it.
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:49 pm  Reply with quote
Where am I?

I don't think it's directed at anyone but I love you too Golem kiss

I guess why I started this thread is I find on AWLOBF there is a lot of mid tempo guitar riffing and not nearly any guitar squealing. I guess this is why I was comparing it to Selfless in that I feel they are both 'rock' orientated. For me AWLOBF is heavy for heavy sake rather than having something unique to project to the listener. It's not a bad record, it's just not grabbing me either.
golem
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

yourenotevil wrote:
golem wrote:

haha, is this directed to me or OP? either way, i got a chuckle out of it.

it was directed to the latest album title! @Boyd and Fiends

MUHAHAHA!!

www.myspace.com/proudpilot
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:54 pm  Reply with quote
Where am I?

roll cheerleader eeeee heeeee! wavey davey
zyxloi
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Great thread.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:29 am  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

Boyd and Fiends wrote:
I don't think it's directed at anyone but I love you too Golem kiss

I guess why I started this thread is I find on AWLOBF there is a lot of mid tempo guitar riffing and not nearly any guitar squealing. I guess this is why I was comparing it to Selfless in that I feel they are both 'rock' orientated. For me AWLOBF is heavy for heavy sake rather than having something unique to project to the listener. It's not a bad record, it's just not grabbing me either.

Folks seem to forget that alot of that 'squealing noise' on everyones favorite records (Streetcleaner/Slavestate/Pure) were the result of a second guitar player in the mix. Listen to Justins parts on those three records, all riffage. Try to listen to Paul Nevilles parts and youll just go WTF IS HE DOING THERE???

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
tomb
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Monotremata wrote:

Folks seem to forget that alot of that 'squealing noise' on everyones favorite records (Streetcleaner/Slavestate/Pure) were the result of a second guitar player in the mix. Listen to Justins parts on those three records, all riffage. Try to listen to Paul Nevilles parts and youll just go WTF IS HE DOING THERE???

Yeah - that's a good point too (as was the original one about 'guitar squealing').

It's probably the combination of those two styles that defines some of my absolute favourite godflesh songs like Slateman and Streetcleaner (the track). Those droning, abrasive and kinda random guitar parts really offset the repetitive riffing underneath and make it something else entirely. Without Paul's parts, and with a more modern guitar sound, those tracks might also sound kinda metal.

Having said that, i reckon Justin makes a pretty good account of himself (in squealing terms) on the first side of Streetcleaner and (to a lesser extent) the S/T...

Not sure if I mentioned before but I once asked Justin on Twitter if he'd considered getting Paul back to play the tracks he featured on, at the reformation gigs, but he never got back to me. Probably logistically difficult. .
falldown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

3 good songs on awlobf.. The rest was really weak imo.. Definitely the worst Godflesh release by far.

failing at... home"
Monotremata
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

tomb wrote:
Monotremata wrote:

Yeah - that's a good point too (as was the original one about 'guitar squealing').

It's probably the combination of those two styles that defines some of my absolute favourite godflesh songs like Slateman and Streetcleaner (the track). Those droning, abrasive and kinda random guitar parts really offset the repetitive riffing underneath and make it something else entirely. Without Paul's parts, and with a more modern guitar sound, those tracks might also sound kinda metal.

Having said that, i reckon Justin makes a pretty good account of himself (in squealing terms) on the first side of Streetcleaner and (to a lesser extent) the S/T...

Not sure if I mentioned before but I once asked Justin on Twitter if he'd considered getting Paul back to play the tracks he featured on, at the reformation gigs, but he never got back to me. Probably logistically difficult. .

BassTotem and I were talking on Facebook about Paul just this past week.. He spoke to Justin and Ben in Birmingham recently and they both said Paul is pretty much socially isolating himself further and further and they cant see playing with him at any time in the future at this point. Im sure he wouldve come out to do the Streetcleaner performance at Roadburn if he was into it. Hes on Facebook, but Ive never once seen him post or respond, or even post a profile pic yet and hes been there a couple of years already.. He didnt even respond to Dave Cochrane posting on his wall, and you would think those two go way back just like him and the Godflesh boys..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
tomb
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

Monotremata wrote:

BassTotem and I were talking on Facebook about Paul just this past week.. He spoke to Justin and Ben in Birmingham recently and they both said Paul is pretty much socially isolating himself further and further and they cant see playing with him at any time in the future at this point. Im sure he wouldve come out to do the Streetcleaner performance at Roadburn if he was into it. Hes on Facebook, but Ive never once seen him post or respond, or even post a profile pic yet and hes been there a couple of years already.. He didnt even respond to Dave Cochrane posting on his wall, and you would think those two go way back just like him and the Godflesh boys..

Wow - that's a shame. Other than Cable Regime, and Fall Of Because (both of which I like, but don't really *love*) I don't think I've heard to much of Paul's stuff, but he really brought something interesting to Godflesh I think.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:55 am  Reply with quote

tomb wrote:
Monotremata wrote:

Wow - that's a shame. Other than Cable Regime, and Fall Of Because (both of which I like, but don't really *love*) I don't think I've heard to much of Paul's stuff, but he really brought something interesting to Godflesh I think.

Well then youve heard pretty much ALL of Paul's 'stuff' heh.. I wish FoB had more of an output cause that stuff was pretty fucking awesome even with Justin's sloppy drumming haha..

chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:07 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

Hey, I like Justin's sloppy drumming.
On the right day of the week, I think I prefer Fall of Because to Godflesh.

kungfusocks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Two of my kids like the album which is cool. Maybe that was the target..... sniggering

Monotremata
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:01 pm  Reply with quote

chickenf1sh wrote:
Hey, I like Justin's sloppy drumming.
On the right day of the week, I think I prefer Fall of Because to Godflesh.

Yeah I can totally agree with that hehe. Its so raw and nasty, and Pauls guitar is just brutal!

BassTotem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

On a happier note, Ben's planning on doing another solo as well. He seemed excited about it, but didn't share any details. I'm sure it's gonna be great!

dyingofthelightnz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 am  Reply with quote

falldown wrote:
3 good songs on awlobf.. The rest was really weak imo.. Definitely the worst Godflesh release by far.

falldown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 am  Reply with quote

dyingofthelightnz wrote:
falldown wrote:

My opinion is wrong? haha...
I thought the most recent Jesu was awesome. Am I wrong there too?

failing at... home"
dyingofthelightnz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:06 am  Reply with quote

falldown wrote:
dyingofthelightnz wrote:
falldown wrote:

As I listened to that for the first time last night, I can confirm that your opinion is not always wrong. It is in relation to this thread though.

falldown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 am  Reply with quote

dyingofthelightnz wrote:
falldown wrote:
dyingofthelightnz wrote:
falldown wrote:

As I listened to that for the first time last night, I can confirm that your opinion is not always wrong. It is in relation to this thread though.

Glad you agreed with my opinion of eigcttlfwic...
& just to clarify, your opinion about my opinion of awlobf is what is wrong...

Last edited by falldown on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

failing at... home"
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:53 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

BassTotem wrote:
On a happier note, Ben's planning on doing another solo as well. He seemed excited about it, but didn't share any details. I'm sure it's gonna be great!

yaaassss!

brokentiny
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

BassTotem wrote:

That makes me very happy!

zyxloi
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I can confirm that the new jesu is eons better than the new Godflesh.
nothinger
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

zyxloi wrote:
Yes, I can confirm that the new jesu is eons better than the new Godflesh.

I think they suck pretty much the same.