AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  New Coil!!!!Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Sidney James
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:40 pm  Reply with quote
Dead South African Comic

Reply from Norman Records about the Coil CDs.

Sorry about this but we've just found out the Coil CDs are not being repressed which is lunacy considering they were released to stop inflated prices and to make the music widely available.

I asked the distributor why and they just said the label decided not to do more. Go figure!!

I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:24 am  Reply with quote
Heretic

I'm glad I pulled the trigger that first day. I just checked Forced Exposure (who I think were responsible for pressing these) and these don't even exist there anymore nor is there a label listing for Threshold Archives. Sad

I'm thinking there may be some legal stuff going on in regards to the catalog which is why they've been pulled down completely from FE either that or Whitney decided it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with all the parties involved or the fickle, picky and often ridiculously entitled segments of the Coil fanbase or the general shitshow surrounding it all and just decided to nix the plan altogether. Which sucks as I think he was trying to do right by the catalog and, it seems, keep the stuff readily available and in print. These have already shot up to $20-$40 on discogs. This was the stuff I was most excited for anyway as it was where the most hole in my collection were. Other than a smattering of EPs, singles, Foxtrot, some of the Live releases and the ridiuculously limited stuff, like the Absinthe, I've got most everything else.

chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:16 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

Sidney James wrote:
Reply from Norman Records about the Coil CDs.

Sorry about this but we've just found out the Coil CDs are not being repressed which is lunacy considering they were released to stop inflated prices and to make the music widely available.

I asked the distributor why and they just said the label decided not to do more. Go figure!!

FFS. The drama continues...

blipseed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:00 pm  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?

I surprised myself even a bit and had little interest in picking these up when the opportunity was there. Any of the outtakes that I don't already have I'll hear eventually and I've got everything else they ever released and then some. The whole debacle behind these releases has been pretty distasteful and I really don't want to partake in any of it. I believe Whitney has honourable intentions but the rest of the parties with "vested interests" can go and fuck themselves. I wonder has Ian Johnstone's untimely death a couple of months back played any part in the fact that these releases have finally seen the light of day?

And if it's the case that these reissues do get deleted straight away and become collectors items somebody should be shot.

chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:08 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

Someone has the whole set listed on ebay for $1000.
They may be taking the piss in the other sense though.

I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:32 am  Reply with quote
Heretic

This whole situation is just a bummer. I'd like to think maybe there will be some clarification on all this but that seems unlikely. I think Whitney's intentions were all good. Keep the stuff available, pay the surviving families/members and create a uniform collection of all Coil releases without limitation. I don't know if you can do better than that. At least some of us have these and so I'm sure the unreleased stuff will end up on archive in the not too distant future for those who do not want to shell out $$$ for them.

I stopped getting the list updates a while back and can't seem to log in so I had no idea that Ian Johnstone had passed. Was he the one running the old Threshold House store?

blipseed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Not sure if Johnstone had a whole lot to do with the store in recent years but was a player in the unfolding drama way back, even when Sleazy was still around. Any correspondence I ever got relating to the store, apart from emails directly to and from Sleazy himself, was with a Greedbag employee.

nhtp
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:56 am  Reply with quote

blipseed wrote:
I surprised myself even a bit and had little interest in picking these up when the opportunity was there. Any of the outtakes that I don't already have I'll hear eventually and I've got everything else they ever released and then some. The whole debacle behind these releases has been pretty distasteful and I really don't want to partake in any of it. I believe Whitney has honourable intentions but the rest of the parties with "vested interests" can go and fuck themselves. I wonder has Ian Johnstone's untimely death a couple of months back played any part in the fact that these releases have finally seen the light of day?

And if it's the case that these reissues do get deleted straight away and become collectors items somebody should be shot.

This!

For my own part, I really feel lucky that I own quite a few of the original releases, and I was content with the amount of Coil related albums in my possession. Since the passing of Sleazy, I never even considered to buy any re-releases of any kind. We should all just move along, just like they have.

Josh
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:33 pm  Reply with quote
Owt and Abowt

It's really weird how these releases have just disappeared. Sounds like there's been some drama behind the scenes. It's a shame because I think Coil's back catalog is ripe for reissuing. At least Backwards is finally coming out....

JoeMomma
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:33 am  Reply with quote

Looks like Amoeba still has some copies of Windowpane, Snow and Consequences of Raising Hell if anybody is interested.

http://www.amoeba.com/coil/artist/147412

spudboy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

yaaassss!

My package arrived today!!!!

I will listen to them in order, starting tonight. Halloween should be an appropriate time, no?

blipseed
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Don't know if it means anything, but Amazon has them all available for preorder with a release date of November 13.

chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:12 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

Never believe anything Amazon has to say about releease dates and pre-orders. They've had England's Hidden Reverse available for literally years...

Anyway: this morning's big news:
http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html

More to releases come hopefully!

blipseed
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Seriously, the way everybody has been going on you'd think it was the Beatles back catalogue we were talking about. Exactly how many $10 CDs are they expecting to sell to keep the stakeholders happy with their royalties.

Elricj
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:20 am  Reply with quote
Burning Outside

Ha-ha very true blip!

I'm just happy we got *something* and we might get more eventually.