AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Blimey, Jamies mid-week pukka recipesReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Jamie Oliver
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:27 pm  Reply with quote
spooning leads to forking

Since first making this dish the other night I’ve been absolutely gagging for it! It’s a flavoursome quick stewed squid with tomatoes. Who’s ready for a tasty, gutsy, simple yet commonsense food whilst having a good laugh with your loved ones or mates? The following is for 2 generous serves.

Firstly, get stuck in to a good bottle of red, cooking is all about having a fun and wicked time. Now for the fun stuff!

Ensure you’ve got around 400g of squid. I get mine from Ricko [of Ricko’s fishmonger in London], an amazing geezer with a bloomin’ great voice that always greets me ‘jamie, ya should be prime minister with all the stuff you’re doing for the kiddies’. Embarrassing really, but thanks Ricko! If your fishmonger is good he will clean your squid for you. With the cleaned squid, score the hoods in a criss cross fashion and cut into pieces. Rings are for pansies. Now put to one side.

Use a deep frypan with lid [my tefal one is perfect Wink ] and splash a bit of olive oil over medium heat and fry a small red onion [finely chopped], 1 garlic [sliced] and add 8 flat-leaf parsley sprigs [leaves picked and finally chopped then set aside, chop those stalks – watch those fingers!]. Fry until soft. Then add a small handful of pitted black olives, 1 red chilli [finely chopped, seeds removed – no need for a real kick in this one tiger] and a pinch of paprika and fry for 1 minute. Now you should be getting some wicked smells, pukka! Add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes [Italian ones will do the job – 400g tin] and simmer gently over medium heat for 15 minutes.

Now is your chance to get into some of the tasty wine. Add butter beans [200g – which is really a 400g tin drained – trust me] and season well with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to the boil and lay over your lovely squid in one layer over the top of the tomato sauce. Cover with a lid or foil, simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.

Whilst this is happening I’ve got time to tell you about my Pal, foodie author Ruth Watson of ‘Fat Girl Slim’ cookbook and her fondness for tepid milk which she claims tastes like warm octopus semen. Apparently the well-known clairvoyant, Minerva, told her she was a cephalopod hooker in a previous incarnation. Wicked!

Back to the cookin’. Check that the squid is cooked and add some finely grated lemon zest [small amount] plus the reserved flat leaf parsley leaves. Bingo! You’re done. It’ll smell pukka by this stage, get a whiff of those aromas! Divide between 2 bowls or plates and serve with lemon wedges. Don’t forget to pour yourself another glass of wine.

I’m sure you’ll find this absolutely fantastic and will have a bloody great time cooking it. Massive apologies to all you vegetarians out there! I’m already thinking of you and have a few inspirations up my sleeve. It’ll knock your socks off! Respect.

Your cheeky chops, love xxx
Jamie

carbon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:33 pm  Reply with quote

one wonders can we expect a challenging dinner review on one of Jamies establishments from Mr Winner
Gray
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:07 am  Reply with quote
Wassup

Jamie, lately I'm frying a lot of fish, but my batter's not so great... I usually coat the fish in flour and then beat an egg and use that as my batter. Not very exciting is it? Got any nice fish batter recipes and good methods to batter the fish nice and propper? Would be hugely appreciated.

Mrs. Gray Flor is a big fan of your show by the way!
Hibakusha
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:19 am  Reply with quote

Oliver, got any tips about using pesto in foods without it being too much on top of the flavour mix?

By the way- careful with those knifes- in that pic it looks like you are going to add some meat to the dish by chopping off one of your pinkies...I know that you are an professional, but still...please, be careful Jamie!
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:41 am  Reply with quote
Swill collector

i can see the direction this place is going.. and i like it!

i like it like Kmart likes bass star!

blipseed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:53 am  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?

Nah Jamie, I'm an Irish expat living in Sydney. As far as I know I haven't been convicted of any crime? Certainly not as heinous a crime as your drumming! Haha! God you're really shit. Anyway, as you can guess the only recipe I'm really familiar with is stirring a pint of guinness into a big pot of spuds with half a pound of salt to garnish. It's right tasty, you should try it, but after having it every night for 30 years I'm looking to spice things up a bit. Seafood give me the squirts, so I'm afraid your delicious recipe wouldn't go down to well with my bowels. I wouldn't like to throw any food away, be it into the bin or at the dumb fuckers who would pay to go and see you making spaghetti bolognaise on stage. As I'm sure you're aware there are millions of starving children around the world. So if you could provide a recipe that would encompass the contents of my fridge that would be great. You can drop over while you're in Sydney if you like to see what I've got. Maybe you can use some of my ingredients in your stage show! That would be a real honour for myself and the other half. I can make you my other speciality, corn flakes with a generous serve of milk (skimmed of course, we don't all want to be lardy arses like you!). Hope to see you soon!!! Razz lol
Jamie Oliver
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:11 pm  Reply with quote
spooning leads to forking

Great to see some people getting’ stuck in and asking questions.

Gray – you frying or deep frying lad? Sounds like you’re making schnitzel [just need some breadcrumbs] – no offence buddy and say hi to the missus! If you’re just frying, forgo the egg. Just lightly dust the fish in flour and throw it in a hot non-stick frypan [check my tefal products, good stuff there] with a little bit of oil [olive or sunflower will do the trick]. Nothing fancy as it enables you to get the lovely flavours from the fish – remember it’s the star attraction.

Deep frying is a tricky thing, be careful! I don’t want to hear about your home in ‘under the radar’ ville going up in smoke right?

For a good ol’ fish batter. Use sunflower oil and pour into a large deep frying pan and heat it to 190C. Season the fish with salt and pepper, a little trick me old man showed me, as the salt helps remove and excess water making the fish meatier.
Batter, 250g plain flour, ½ pint (285ml) of good cold beer [no Blipseed – guiness will not work, keep it for your potata] and 3 tsp of baking powder. Whisk them together until nice and shiny. As tempting as it is, don’t flick your batter at the missus, could cause all manner of unwanted problems right, play it safe and wear protection [an apron]. The texture should be like whipped cream [sticks to whatever you’re coating]. Dust the fish in a little extra flour, then dip in the batter and allow excess batter to drain. Lower the fish into your hot oil, one by one, cook for 4+ minutes, until batter us golden & crisp, no you’re laughing, pukka times!!!

If your missus ain’t keen on the stodgy factor then how about a Japanese tempura style batter? Personally, I think she’ll go nuts for it!
The batter should be made just before deep frying or it goes grey and yucky. Heat a large deep frying pan with rape seed oil to 180C. In a large bowl, whisk one egg with 100ml of ice cold water. Then add 120g of plain flour at once, for an authentic experience mix with chopsticks [a fork will do] ever so slightly so there are still lumps of flour floating on the surface of the batter. This is the trick to a superb light batter.
Dip your fish in the batter, shake the excess batter off and add to the hot oil. Again fry for around 5+ minutes until batter is golden & crisp. I think you’ll dig these batters, get stuck in!

Hibakusha – Mitä kuuluu? Mitä perkele tarkoittaa? Hauska tavata. En puhu suomi.
You want to use Pesto? Sick of those lovely grilli’s, what do you call them, katukeittiö, snägäri or nakkikioski, you have all over the place in Finland. Better than a kebab anyday.
Sorry to get side tracked there! Use your pesto sparingly. No need to use it all in one go. This may sound a bit naff, but its awesome and mouthwatering with cooked mussels! Or drizzle on grilled fish, roasted chicken, vegetable kebabs. Golden! Yes it’s a strong flavour but isn’t that why you use it? Just experiment and get stuck in!

Blipseed – Sorry about calling you an Aussie mate! I’ll talk to me manager about dropping by.

Cheerio, love xxx
Jum

blipseed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:20 pm  Reply with quote

Cheers mate!!!!! Hope everything goes smooth as with the whole Fifteen thing in Melbourne. We could really do with another dickhead celebrity chef over here! I had a wonderful blueberry muffin with cream cheese (Philadelphia of course, nuffink but the best!!) for brekkie. I merely toasted it a little, but I'm open for other suggestions as to how to prepare the muffin? Cheers matey!!!
JMA689
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:45 am  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

hey Jam? got any recipient for us, vegetarians?

Also, I am trying to make decent molotov cocktails, but it never catches on fire properly... especially on cops cars... what am i doing wrong? do i need to change the brand of oil i am using?

Blimey! Mad

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
blackmark
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:27 am  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

i find mixing some wax-oil in generally gives them the budget napalm effect.

Gray
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:26 pm  Reply with quote
Wassup

Brilliant! I'm gonna give those fish batter recipes a try tonight. Thanks Jamie!!
blipseed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Jamie, I just found out this evening, whilst reading an article on yourself and Jools in Woman's Day, that you called your kids Poppy Honey and Daisy Boo! What were you thinkin' man? It's bad enough you having a girls name already, but there was no need to take it out on the kids. For shame Jamie, for shame. Sad