AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Earth - Primitive and DeadlyReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:23 am  Reply with quote
Heretic

New Earth album is outstanding. Treads the same ground as the last few but with heavier guitars and some more "song" like arrangements. The vocals on this add a lot to the feel. Two songs sung by Lanegan (amazing!SWOON!) and Rabia Shaheen Qazi, who I've not heard of previously but will be searching out as her contribution is the highlight of the album. Will be high up on the year end list for sure.

Get the LP as it has an extra song that totally makes the album. I've had the LP and CD since we got em at the shop last week and the CD version feels unfinished. Needs the last track to make it whole.

theredhog
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:45 am  Reply with quote

It's great, if in large chunks not what I expect an Earth album to sound like - could be to do with the vocals actually.
a3k
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 am  Reply with quote

Outstanding indeed.
But I don't think it treads the same ground as the last few, at all.
To me it sounds like a departure from the over crowded arrangements from the "angels" albums. There's more gain on the guitars, but the sound is much more open and simple.
I always had a problem with the cello parts in Earth (as brilliant a musician as Lori Goldston may be). To me they were a distraction from the really strong guitar parts, with all the (unnecessary) extra melodic and harmonic content they added.

The live show as a 3 piece (guitar, bass, drums, no vocals) was even more stripped down, and Dylan Carlson was just nailing it on the guitar.
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 am  Reply with quote
Heretic

I liked the cello. It muddied the waters a bit and detracted from the guitar in a way that I think suited the material. I do like I better which was tighter and more structured than II which was less structured and more "improvsed". That lineup was also killer live. It treads the same ground in that it has similar structures and melodic lines to Angels, Bees and Hex, in fact there is almost a direct quote of a song from Hex (I think?) on Primitive (can't recall which songs right now). It's a departure in that, other than the vocals, it's much more stripped down than Angels or Bees and has a tone more similar to Pentastar than anything they've done since.

I'm curious to see how this will sound live (and what lineup they'll use). I'm seeing them here on Sunday. Night after Swans plays. Should be a nice come down.

timeless
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Liking it though the vocals will take some getting used to
Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Got this today, needs more listens to make up my mind, but anything with Lanegan is ok in my book.
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:57 am  Reply with quote
Heretic

Just wrapped up my fifth listen. This album is ringing all my bells and gets better with each listen. SO MUCH GUITARS! The highlight is From The Zodiacal Light with Ms. Qazi on vocals. This song is incredible. Her vocals are fantastic and totally suit the material. The other highlight is Badgers Bane. Such an outstanding track. The mix on this is killer. There's a long fade of everything but the drums in the middle and the end is just minutes of amp noise. PERFECT end to the album. Along with the vocals, the layers upon layers of guitars in places make this album really shine. CAN'T WAIT FOR SUNDAY!

a3k
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

I Don't Need God wrote:

I'm curious to see how this will sound live (and what lineup they'll use). I'm seeing them here on Sunday. Night after Swans plays. Should be a nice come down.

I really think we should swap weekends. You will work in the beer shop, and I will go and see Swans and Earth.

Perfect!
Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

you work in a beer shop?!
a3k
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Wilhelm_Stroker wrote:

I'm afraid so, yes.
maninacan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:15 pm  Reply with quote
Destoyer of the cinematic sentence

id love to work in a beer shop i love working my festival to do it every day would rock

Bill Hicks
soothsayer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:32 am  Reply with quote

I've got 2, it was ok really minimal and kinda boring but a lot of chinstrokers seems to be fond of it. pretty sure I saw them in decibel really.

they're playing soon so I think I'm gonna check them out... crowbar are playing soon as well.
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:29 am  Reply with quote
Heretic

Earth 2 is my least favorite. I find it boring and overrated. For that earlier type of stuff they did, Phase 3 is vastly superior to Earth 2. If that's all you really know get the following...

Start with Hex, Hibernaculum and Bees Made Honey
Follow up with Pentastar, Live Hex, Live Europe, Radio Earth
Continue with both Angels of Darkness albums and finish with the new one.

I just saw them play one of their best sets. It was so heavy and intense, loose and enthralling. DO NOT MISS THIS TOUR!

And yes, it was a far better, and louder, show than Swans last night.

Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:07 am  Reply with quote

a3k wrote:
Wilhelm_Stroker wrote:

I'm afraid so, yes.

I'd love to work in a beer shop. Whereabouts?
InDub
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

Primitive & Deadly really is stunning. Earth usually bores the shit out of me, but here they've taken the compelling bits from their previous stuff and concentrated it all into something huge and awesome.

If you're not an Earth fan but are thinking about taking the plunge, I'd say go for it. Hex is the only other one of theirs that I kind of like, but I rarely listen to it because my attention starts to wander after about 10 minutes and then I get really bored. Nothing like that happens when I listen to this one (on vinyl -- it sounds great).

How does Carlson pulls off the sound live with just one guitar? I'll find out at the end of the month.
Wilhelm_Stroker
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:15 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.thewire.co.uk/audio/tracks/listen_dylan-carlson-solo-and-earth-tracks
maninacan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:50 pm  Reply with quote
Destoyer of the cinematic sentence

great album lot beefier than i expected

Bill Hicks
blackmark
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 am  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

i haven't had any dealings with Earth since this
http://www.link2wales.co.uk/gig06/sunn.htm
maybe i will investigate again

timeless
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Was at that gig at Roadkill miss the place had some killer gigs in the short space of time it was open
zerosignel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:41 pm  Reply with quote
Invocation (Of The Whore Bitch Goddess Babylon)

Christ, i remember that show! It was a stormer. Remember me and my mates making a dash to the merch as soon as we got in to snag some coveted sunn vinyl and the split that was released for that tour, Also remember shitting one seeing them on stage the absolute fiends.

Do kind of miss roadkill and fab (Sunday at fab they used to play cheesy horror movies like killer klowns from outer space and give out free popcorn!). seems every time a decent new place opens in Liverpool it's doomed to fail. Heaven and Hell was another decent venue from that era i have some fond memories of as well.

soothsayer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:32 pm  Reply with quote

I Don't Need God wrote:
Earth 2 is my least favorite. I find it boring and overrated. For that earlier type of stuff they did, Phase 3 is vastly superior to Earth 2. If that's all you really know get the following...

Start with Hex, Hibernaculum and Bees Made Honey
Follow up with Pentastar, Live Hex, Live Europe, Radio Earth
Continue with both Angels of Darkness albums and finish with the new one.

I just saw them play one of their best sets. It was so heavy and intense, loose and enthralling. DO NOT MISS THIS TOUR!

And yes, it was a far better, and louder, show than Swans last night.

hey man thanks for the tip. I am going to see them tomorrow night so I'm going to start the new LP, and then follow your recommendations on up. anymore I can't be bothered to listen to boring music per se so I hope to enjoy the more maximal moments of their discography. I am sure the show will be good tomorrow night.

one more thing, could you give me a sunn-o recommendation trajectory, I've got nothing, heard nothing, just seen a bunch of pretentious knobs wearing their short, what is the good sunn??
Elricj
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:11 am  Reply with quote
Burning Outside

Sunn started out as sorta Earth 2 worship, so I'm guessing you'll want to avoid their earlier stuff. Try their collab stuff: Altar w/ Boris or maybe like Oracle which features the Mayhem vocalist Attila. The new Scott Walker/Sunn is supposed to be good, but I personally haven't heard it.
timeless
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Start with Monoliths, the new Scott Walker album to me is like their Lulu album