AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  Napalm death and related bands talkReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
yourenotevil
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

let's talk ND and its offshoots. what are your fave eras of ND? it has probably been talked about to death on here, but i am kind of new here so there it is. i saw them less than 2 weeks ago and have been going through their catalog a lot. i think it is hard to find a band that started out so strong (esp with this many line up changes) and then came back with a bang this late in their career. even if you take out scum and FETO as a totally separate band(which in some ways they are), barney and company came back really strong in the 00s after putting out three bland cds (diatribes to torn).

other nd related bands and my take on them-

scorn-vae solis would have been so much more awesome if the songs stuck to the rock formula of the first half of the record. i like the industrial stuff, but it is more like background music to me. i can hang with the first couple of records, but i am out after that.

unseen terror-the peel sessions rule, the lp is kind of limp. the production just makes all of the songs sound the same and i have the feeling they were a lot better live than on record.

godflesh-they suck, nothing more needs to be said since no one on here obv gives a shit about that band.

benediction-the one album barney is on is cool, but i don't think it has aged in the greatest way.

painkiller-i fucking love painkiller. i like the earlier stuff better, but i can get lost in the 30 long minute jams as well. i wish i had seen them back in the day.

blood from the soul- meh, kind of boring. i own it but i never listen to it.

azagthoth-shane's early death metal band. they only had the one demo but it fucking rules.

colostomy-barney's first band. they had a flexi supposedly but i have never heard it. anyone have this?

defecation-first album rips. 2nd album is okay, but i wish mitch was on it.

righteous pigs-i like them, but ND is way better.

terrorizer-first album rules, i will not recognize anything after that record.
desu evol yaw
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:00 pm  Reply with quote
Swill collector

nape death - everything up to feto's classic. especially a fan of feto demos.

scorn - all

painkiller - buried secrets ep and execution ground. don't really like guts of a virgin, too cartoony.

everything else can go to hell.

post-punk anti-metal, not metal. it baffles me that anyone in the universe still listens to metal in 2015, a hackneyed formula of nod-out.

BassTotem
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

actually my intro to Godflesh was of Napalm Death. in the late 90s i've heard a song of Scum on a german TV station (no video though, only some text and the record cover). i think it was Viva 2. it was unlike anything i've heard before. there was an unofficial page i think napalmdeath.com where you could download all the songs. this was late 90sish.

but my favourite "side-project" is still Scorn, the Bullen years and Fall of Because...

i really liked the first Meathook Seed and think peel sessions is the best grindcore release. from Unseen Terror that is. i guess you know about Carcass...

Malformed Earthborn is also wicked cool, but chances are if you didn't like the industrial stuff you won't like that either. it's basically Embury, Lilker and his pal from BT/Exit-13 going wild with 80s/90s b-movie soundtrack madness. Brutal Truth is not a side project but close enough for me.

Teeth of the Lions Rule the Divine though they have a shit name (it didn't sound that shit back then) all these core bands have now is a really nice Burning Witch/Khanate trip.

Ripcord has some great moments too (i prefer them to Electro Hippies, but i prefer Heresy to both). Jim Whitely is a key man on B-Side Scum. he also was stand-in bassist for Doom as was MJH a drummer for them and Extreme Noise Terror. i think it's the peel sessions or some other obscure stuff but it's worth tracking down even if no Mick there, both are of the proper.

also both Lock Up and Venomous Concept are shit so don't even bother.

BassTotem
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

also, check this out:

Link To The YouTube Page Containing The Above Video

more novetlty than awesomeness but it is good clean fun

yourenotevil
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

desu evol yaw wrote:
nape death - everything up to feto's classic. especially a fan of feto demos.

scorn - all

painkiller - buried secrets ep and execution ground. don't really like guts of a virgin, too cartoony.

everything else can go to hell.

post-punk anti-metal, not metal. it baffles me that anyone in the universe still listens to metal in 2015, a hackneyed formula of nod-out.

well, you also said you think streetcleaner is the worst GF cd, so i just assume you smoke large amounts of crack.
yourenotevil
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

BassTotem wrote:
actually my intro to Godflesh was of Napalm Death. in the late 90s i've heard a song of Scum on a german TV station (no video though, only some text and the record cover). i think it was Viva 2. it was unlike anything i've heard before. there was an unofficial page i think napalmdeath.com where you could download all the songs. this was late 90sish.

but my favourite "side-project" is still Scorn, the Bullen years and Fall of Because...

i really liked the first Meathook Seed and think peel sessions is the best grindcore release. from Unseen Terror that is. i guess you know about Carcass...

Malformed Earthborn is also wicked cool, but chances are if you didn't like the industrial stuff you won't like that either. it's basically Embury, Lilker and his pal from BT/Exit-13 going wild with 80s/90s b-movie soundtrack madness. Brutal Truth is not a side project but close enough for me.

Teeth of the Lions Rule the Divine though they have a shit name (it didn't sound that shit back then) all these core bands have now is a really nice Burning Witch/Khanate trip.

Ripcord has some great moments too (i prefer them to Electro Hippies, but i prefer Heresy to both). Jim Whitely is a key man on B-Side Scum. he also was stand-in bassist for Doom as was MJH a drummer for them and Extreme Noise Terror. i think it's the peel sessions or some other obscure stuff but it's worth tracking down even if no Mick there, both are of the proper.

also both Lock Up and Venomous Concept are shit so don't even bother.

yeah i def forgot some bands in my write up, but i like people including the ones i missed. carcass was an oversight. i guess i was looking at the more project type bands over the "big ones." i have the first lock up cd. it was cool, but it doesn't sound that different than stuff from that era.
BassTotem
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

oh my fockung god Sad

BassTotem
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

talking about ND side projects, anyone heard this one before?

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Bailey-Brothers-Present-Diminished-Responsibility/release/2074547

falldown
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

BassTotem wrote:
oh my fockung god Sad

This is awful.

failing at... home"