AVALANCHERS Forum Index

Author Message
<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  For you Australians - JKB on ABC 3 tonight at 9:55 pmReply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:51 am  Reply with quote
Where am I?


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1849
Location: In the land of the silver fern

Just in case you're not on Avalanchers FB...

Quote:
Tonight on ABC 3 we have a very special VAULT presented by Justin Broadrick from Godflesh and Napalm Death. This is unmissable for fans of heavy music. There will be clips from Black Sabbath, Swans, Cabaret Voltaire Official, Killing Joke: Official and more.

Tonight. 10pm. ABC3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:13 am  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 3006
Location: Manchester, England

Looks like a repeat of the Saturday show:
http://www.abc.net.au/rage/archive/s4227815.htm
I'm guessing the Stranglers track at around 5.15AM is where Justin's selections start.
Anyone know of an Aussie proxy service?

_________________
C o n c r e t e / F i e l d
: M : 1 : 9 :
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:55 pm  Reply with quote
Where am I?


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1849
Location: In the land of the silver fern

Yes, it was a repeat. There was no way I was going to be getting up at 5:15am on a Sunday morning!

This was the video's JKB selected:

THE STRANGLERS 5 Minutes (EMI)
KILLING JOKE Let's All Go (To The Fire Dances) (Polydor)
CABARET VOLTAIRE Just Fascination (Virgin)
BLACK SABBATH Paranoid (Sony)
SWANS New Mind (Mute Records)
ERIC B and RAKIM Microphone Fiend (Warner)
PUBLIC ENEMY Shut Em' Down (Sony)
GODFLESH Christbait Rising (Independent)

He introduced the songs and pretty much said how much of an influence each band was to himself and Godflesh. Quick sum up, not much that you wouldn't have read or heard elsewhere regarding his influences. Heavy, stripped back, minimal and huge beats were thrown around a lot.

For me the most interesting part was his intro to Christbait Rising. JKB said it captured the spirit of the time and the montages of them playing live captured what they did on the record sleeves. The footage was played on a TV and then re-recorded from the screen to produce that effect.

Unfortunately it's not available on the ABC's website and I had no way of recording it from the TV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doomride
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:32 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 13341
Location: Miami,Florida

Of all the Sabbath he could have picked and he picks 'Paranoid'....really?

_________________
"Some people never go crazy.What truly horrible lives they must lead."
-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boyd and Fiends
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:07 pm  Reply with quote
Where am I?


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1849
Location: In the land of the silver fern

doomride wrote:
Of all the Sabbath he could have picked and he picks 'Paranoid'....really?


Poor JKB was having to rely on our ABC TV archives for music clips, so he was choosing songs from a bands period he liked (and the song may not have been his first choice).

From memory he did say the black sabbath song was one of the reasons he listened to Black Sabbath, but he found that the rest of the album was much better than this song.

He kind of apologised for the killing joke and cabaret voltaire songs, again it seemed like these were songs he wouldn't specifically choose, rather it was the only music clips available for him to choose from that band's period he liked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doomride
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:39 pm  Reply with quote
Lord Marcus Ironfist teh Twonk-bane


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 13341
Location: Miami,Florida

Boyd and Fiends wrote:
doomride wrote:
Of all the Sabbath he could have picked and he picks 'Paranoid'....really?


Poor JKB was having to rely on our ABC TV archives for music clips, so he was choosing songs from a bands period he liked (and the song may not have been his first choice).

From memory he did say the black sabbath song was one of the reasons he listened to Black Sabbath, but he found that the rest of the album was much better than this song.

He kind of apologised for the killing joke and cabaret voltaire songs, again it seemed like these were songs he wouldn't specifically choose, rather it was the only music clips available for him to choose from that band's period he liked.




Oh ok,that makes sense then...

_________________
"Some people never go crazy.What truly horrible lives they must lead."
-Charles Bukowski
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blipseed
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:53 am  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?


Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 3829
Location: USSA

Boyd and Fiends wrote:
Just in case you're not on Avalanchers FB...

Quote:
Tonight on ABC 3 we have a very special VAULT presented by Justin Broadrick from Godflesh and Napalm Death. This is unmissable for fans of heavy music. There will be clips from Black Sabbath, Swans, Cabaret Voltaire Official, Killing Joke: Official and more.

Tonight. 10pm. ABC3.


And what happens if you're not on Avalanchers Facebook AND not on Avalanchers?!

Bugger, missed this completely.

_________________
I am disabled by fears concerning which course to take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
AVALANCHERS Forum Index  ~  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board

Post new topic  Reply to topic



Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB and Ad Infinitum v1.06