www.avalanchers.co.uk Forum Index

<  Avalanchers Discussion Board  ~  Early Final + Post Mortem Rec MaterialReply to topic  ~  {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
24skidoo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:07 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I'd have to check with Justin and Nic first but I've found a lot of old, very early Final rehearsal/demo/live tapes in my loft along with a few original Post Mortem Recordings tapes. There's solo Justin B stuff and the full tape of Final's (we weren't actually called Final for the gig that features on 'One' Wink ) first gig including soundcheck. Also some pics at a rehearsal/live assault and a couple of pics taken in The Rag, B'ham circa 83-ish. If Justin or Nic are around, what do you think? Or do you want to vet them first? Question
Panasonic Youth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:12 pm  Reply with quote
Forever idealistic.

Justin doesn't post on these boards. Nic does though albeit not that often.

I would love to hear that stuff though.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:19 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

Holy shite.. 24skidoo.. I can actually ask him tonight if you like, gonna be seeing him in about 5 more hours or so hehehe.
anything to help expediate that process! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Would he know who you were though if I say HEY THIS GUY 24SKIDOO HAS ALL KINDS OF OLD POSTMORTEM STUFF HE WANTS TO KNOW IF HE CAN SHARE??

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
24skidoo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:02 am  Reply with quote

Just replied to your PM Smile
LUNAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:23 am  Reply with quote

Holy crap, what a find! Would love to hear this. and see those early final images would be killer. I'm sure some people on here can get in touch with Justin or Nic.

Last edited by LUNAR on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:04 am; edited 2 times in total
blipseed
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:43 am  Reply with quote
At least I have nice teeth?

Would it be impolite to ask if you are indeed somebody that we may know Mr. Skidoo??
JMA689
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:55 am  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

I think Skoobidoo used to post on the old board. He is an old acquaintance of Justin and Nic, and used to play in Final in the early days.
And yes, that would be awesome indeed to get some of these old tapes and pictures online. Very Happy

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
brokentiny
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:31 am  Reply with quote

I think I can express what many of us are thinking.
PPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
That would be very nice of you.

Kontra
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Would be great to hear those, however I wonder what the chances are of JKB letting you share them Confused Good to see someone form the old board over here
Nicholas Bullen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:52 am  Reply with quote
Whatever it is, I'm against it...

Hi Andy - that's a nice find...
I presume it's you, Guy and Justin in a lot of the pics?

I would suggest getting in touch with Justin in the first case as he may feel that it merits a release on his label which would mean the tapes could be subject to a little mastering...
I'll send you a mail as soon as I get a free minute...

Incidentally, he'll be playing in Brum on 18 November (next Sunday): I am not going to the concert as I am already going to see Caribou that night, but I'm planning on going down in the afternoon to say hello - it could be a good time to meet up?

Are you going to Acid Mothers Temple and Einstellung on Friday?

24skidoo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your mail – I’ll drop you a line later. I hadn’t realised Just was playing in Brum but, if I can, I’ll definitely go along. Where’s it at? I’d like to come down to the Sunflower Lounge too Very Happy

The pics were taken in The Rag (by whom, I have no idea?) and they turned up in my parents’ photo album. There’s one of Justin and me and one of yourself. Unfortunately, neither Guy or Colin are on any of the ones that have turned up so far but you never know…

The live pics were taken at a rehearsal/recording session. There’s one of Just doing some vocals, one of the equipment set up and one of me doing ‘something’ with a guitar. It looks like it was taken in a hall we rented out just around the corner from Justin’s mom’s flat in Shard End. I seem to recall somebody taking pictures and recording a gig we did at Derrnot’s too?

I’m going to digitise the tapes as they’re all still on the AGFA/TDK originals and I’m not sure how much longer they’ll last. Some of them have got the original artwork, some have got photocopied covers and some are just handwritten. One of the tapes features Justin, me and your good-self on vocals. There’s also a couple of compilations Final contributed too on other labels (along with people like Un-Kommuniti, Ramleh etc.). I could kick myself but when I moved out from my parents (a good few years ago now!) I had a black bin liner literally full of Final /Smear Campaign flyers, posters etc. and also letters from the likes of Gary Mundy (Ramleh), Bennett (Whitehouse), Cosey (TG) that was sadly lost.

Hopefully see you on the 18th!
Nicholas Bullen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Nice one, Andy...

Get those tapes digitised before they fall apart! I've got some interesting recordings that I need to do the same to...
I've fallen victim to the same 'lost binbag' scenario over the years: scores of tapes that are almost impossible to find these days...Things just seem to disappear over the years...

The Jesu concert is on a Sunday at the Medicine Bar (in the Custard Factory in Digbeth), so I hope you can make it: it'd be a blast for Jus, I'm sure!

And, yeah, it'd be great if you could come down to the Sunflower Lounge concert: it's just Migrant (a trio I'm in) and British Rocket Group. I imagine it will sound abysmal (as the Sunflower Lounge usually does), but that's not really that important...

I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:00 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

FLAC files please. This would be AMAZING!

Welcome back.

Nic - I'm jealous of that Acid Mothers/Einstellung show. Very jealous.

http://drivingthedemonsout.blogspot.com
stevetrash
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

another vote for FLAC! Smile
BassTotem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

If you really have the original artworks, I'd vote for Justin-remaster and release at Avalanche recs.

What a great obscure release would it be!

Won't happen I suppose, but I like deluding myself in such issues.
iscariah
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:31 pm  Reply with quote
D.A.R. Johnson

BassTotem wrote:
If you really have the original artworks, I'd vote for Justin-remaster and release at Avalanche recs.

What a great obscure release would it be!

Won't happen I suppose, but I like deluding myself in such issues.
Sounds like you are caught ... in a dream!

Monotremata
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

iscariah wrote:
Sounds like you are caught ... in a dream!

BORN ON YOUR KNEES YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!!!

oh sorry got caught up there.. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nicholas Bullen
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Stop nicking my catchphrases!
Wink

pitt55
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

buried in the news archives of the crumbling flesh site is that old interview with justin about final with a list of final demo titles and comp. appearances.would be unbelievably great to have these on say a c.d. box set.might have been a dream a few years ago but with justin running shop nowadays it could concievably happen.
24skidoo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

pitt55 wrote:
buried in the news archives of the crumbling flesh site is that old interview with justin about final with a list of final demo titles and comp. appearances.would be unbelievably great to have these on say a c.d. box set.might have been a dream a few years ago but with justin running shop nowadays it could concievably happen.

I've just had a quick read of that interview and, yes, I've got 'some' of those tapes + others not mentioned on there.

It's difficult to specify exactly what the others contain as I haven't got any way of comparing what I've got against the 'official' PMR releases anymore. We were very prolific in those days to say the least (probably a release every other week or so).

I'm fairly sure that we first used the name 'Final' towards the end of the summer of '84 so a lot of those earlier tapes were done under a plethora of different names.

But, as Just states in the interview, the first gig (at The Mermaid, '84) was the best due to the sheer volume. We supported Death Magazine 52 and Guy, who played with D Mag that night, later joined us in Final. Strangely enough, after Final, I joined DKZ, fronted by Simon who also played in D Mag that night. To further demonstrate that the scene in Birmingham was quite closely knit at the time, DKZ's first gig was reviewed in the local press by Head of David's Reuben.

Small world.
BassTotem
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

Reuben. Was he a cool guy?
24skidoo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, Reuben was a nice lad as far as I remember although I only ever spoke to him briefly on a couple of occasions. I vaguely remember seeing Head of David play with Justin on drums. Maybe Nic can remember the venue becasue I know I can't! A pub with a nautical theme (I think?) just off the Bristol Road by Smallbrook Queensway. It was just before they went big.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

Nicholas Bullen wrote:
Stop nicking my catchphrases!
Wink

Wait you mean thats not a Barney Greenway lyric??

(runs for serious cover now!!!!!)

lou curley
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

24skidoo, what were the other names you guys used before final? and is there any chance we can hear any of that?
24skidoo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

The first name we went under was Atrocity Exhibition (after the Joy Division track of the same name rather than a nod to Ballard). Atrocity Exhibition 'Live in the Studio' was the first ever Post Mortem release (PMR001).

Shortly after, we decided upon Smear Campaign (named, if my memory serves me correctly, after a Nocturnal Emissions track). Smear Campaign was the name we went under at our first gig. Almost straight after the gig we settled on Final.

Other names that were used included Last Exit, Crusade & Mesh but these were more solo projects if I remember correctly. There were other one-off names that we came up with for other things (including when Nic recorded with us) but they escape me at the moment. Maybe Nic can remember?
Monotremata
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

'Smear Campaign'??

So kinda like From Enslavement To Obliteration, is the current Napalm camp still stealing ideas from its past and rehashing them???

24skidoo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:31 am  Reply with quote

I went on another dangerous excursion into the inner bowels of my loft last night and found another couple of old tapes.

The first one features DAF on one side but, more interestingly, on the reverse side are some Final tracks recorded ‘live’ on an ‘average tape recorder’. I have no idea when this was or, indeed, if it was recorded at a gig or elsewhere.

The second tape is a compilation tape Justin did for me (we were obsessive ‘tapists’ at the time – we’d meet up on a Saturday, hang out at a bootleg tape stall in The Rag Market, scour the record shops; ‘Rockers’ being a particular favourite, and then exchange blank tapes with our ‘requests’ to be delivered the following week). This tape is interesting as it has a handwritten tracklisting and some additional comments inside the tape cover itself. On side one are such groups as Ramleh, Un-Kommunniti, Con-Dom etc. and quite a few named, unreleased Final tracks. On side two are groups such as The Membranes, Amebix, Rudimentary Peni, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry etc.

If I get a chance this evening, I’ll post a full tracklisting.

I’ll also post a list of tapes I’ve found so far..
pitt55
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

is that the "bootleg tape stall" where justin met benny?
a historical musical moment
pitt55
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

this is so very cool but you are torturing some of us you know.
24skidoo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

pitt55 wrote:
is that the "bootleg tape stall" where justin met benny?
a historical musical moment

It's definitely the same stall where Justin and I met Nik - I have no idea where Justin met Benny - sorry.
pitt55
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

a historical musical moment nonetheless.
when will we get a final/napalm original/early line-up reunion album/tour.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

speaking of which.. skidoo..

your message was delivered and justin and dave are looking forward to seeing you in brum on the 18th. justin's eyes were about to pop out of his head when I told him you wanted to get in touch hehe.
i wouldnt count on him letting those tapes hit the internet though.

dave mentioned he still talks to Guy (and just did fairly recently before leaving) and can get you in touch with him I think..

BassTotem
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Not an internet upload! Remaster & rerelease @ Avalanche recs plzthx!
the claw!
JMA689
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:08 pm  Reply with quote
mode-wataaaaa

I think Justin should release a kind of anthology at some point, with like some early final stuff, some rare HOD tracks, maybe some Napalm Death demos, some Godflesh rare stuff, etc... That would be awesome.

Lemmy Kilmister wrote:
'In my life so far, I have discovered that there are really only two kinds of people: those who are for you, and those who are against you. Learn to recognize them, for they are often and easily mistaken for each other.'
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:09 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

JMA689 wrote:
I think Justin should release a kind of anthology at some point, with like some early final stuff, some rare HOD tracks, maybe some Napalm Death demos, some Godflesh rare stuff, etc... That would be awesome.

Seconded!

Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

JMA689 wrote:
some rare HOD tracks, maybe some Napalm Death demos, some Godflesh rare stuff, etc... That would be awesome.

HOD is being reprinted already.
Including the complete Saveana Mixes of Dustbowl.

Is there really any more 'rare' Godflesh stuff though?? Aside from getting some hopefully decent quality live recordings, I think we got it all..
What you got hiding over there????? Very Happy

I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:18 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

Monotremata wrote:

I think I just fell over... Shocked

CAN"T WAIT! WANT!

Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

next step... getting KMart to give a fuck about God/Ice/Techno Animal and reprint those...

aint got time

BassTotem
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Monotremata wrote:
JMA689 wrote:
some rare HOD tracks, maybe some Napalm Death demos, some Godflesh rare stuff, etc... That would be awesome.

NO FUCKING WAAAY! Shocked
This made my day.
Tetragrammaton
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Monotremata wrote:
'Smear Campaign'??

So kinda like From Enslavement To Obliteration, is the current Napalm camp still stealing ideas from its past and rehashing them???

I was asking myself that, is the new Napalm Death maybe named after this for some reason?