AVALANCHERS Forum Index

<  AVALANCHERS Discussion Board  ~  What shows are you going to/did you just attend?Reply to topic    {L_POST_
NEW_TOPIC}
joeki
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Methuselah

Neurosis last weekend:

Setlist :

1 : A Sun That Never Sets
2 : At The End of the Road
3 : Given To the Rising
4 : Distill (Watching the Swarm)
5 : ?????
6 : Water is Not Enough
7 : Through Silver in Blood

Great visuals to commend the music. Great droney/feedback pieces between the songs. It was loud,it was intense, it was heavy.
I love this band live!
Might put a little video I shot during GTTR online later depending on the quality.

Monotremata
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:42 pm  Reply with quote
bent on world D.A.R.mination!

I swear if they skip LA this year I am personally going to hunt down and knock the rest of Scott Kellys teeth out.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nothinger
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Setlist from Leipzig:

1. Locust Star
2. Given to the Rising
3. End of the Harvest (!)
4. A Season in the Sky
5. New song (veeery good)
6. Water is not enough
7. Belief (!)
8. At the end of the Road
9. 2nd new song (just good)
10. Through Silver in Blood

Ufomammut was mostly boring as fuck. AmenRa was definitely better, though still songs sounded mostly the same for me and I certainly don't like those "screamo" vocals.
When Neurosis came up on stage, supporting bands just vanished. They prooved being my favorite band ever and fucking greatest band live.
It was so heavy, loud and crushing I almost couldn't believe - sometimes I was sure the whole place would just collapse.
100x better then my first gig in Warsaw 2008. I am very picky about the setlists, but they pleased me with few unexpected tracks and bless them for getting rid of boring stuff like Distill or Left to Wander (though I'd exchange At the end... for something from A sun that never sets).

The best concert I've been to.

Monotremata wrote:
I swear if they skip LA this year I am personally going to hunt down and knock the rest of Scott Kellys teeth out.

Better be fast, seems like he's lost some more - he also got many scars on the forehead from hitting the mic, which he didn't forgot during TSIB.
blackmark
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:52 pm  Reply with quote
'Australian Minister for Avalanches'

went to see my friends' band The Tear Up supporting Agnostic Front in manchester last night. Only been going 6 weeks and that was their first gig, fair play.

garlicwav
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm  Reply with quote
Monster

nothinger wrote:

The best concert I've been to.

Seeing them next saturday. I just can't wait, especially after this kind of comments! Smile

elrrek
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:58 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

They better be better than the last time I saw them (Neurosis) touring "Eye of Every Storm" because they were fucking shite then.

avocado diaboli wrote:
I fully suppotz this decision simply because beard.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

elrrek wrote:
They better be better than the last time I saw them (Neurosis) touring "Eye of Every Storm" because they were fucking shite then.

Damn that was the last time you saw em?? 2004?? First time I saw them was on that tour and yeah I love that album but some of those songs were just tooooooo boring live. Like Left To Wander.. At least they closed the show with Stones From The Sky..

They were MUCH better the next couple of times I saw them and thankfully they left Jarboe home for those..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
I Don't Need God
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:49 pm  Reply with quote
Heretic

I love the EoES tracks live. Love em. But I love that album immensely.

They should always close with TSIB, Doorway or Stones. Always.

Just secured my tix to see them in Sept. YAS!!!!! Hopefully the new album will be out by then.

nothinger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Don't worry, they ARE much better - as I said, I saw them in 2008 with mostly Given to the Rising songs, Left to Wander, Locust Star (thankfully) and Stones... closing. That was good, very good, especially for my 1st Neurosis gig.

But Leipzig gig... damn, they were fucking beasts! All of them like possessed on stage.
New songs also give much hope for next album to be better than last, which the more I hear the more I think it just doesn't give them justice.
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

Boris yesterday.

Good, mostly new stuff from the two recent albums. I was surprised they played "We are Witches" from BXI. Very loud.

Synchronized gig watching with elrrek who updated me on the current state of affairs in AmenRa. Ingrid Lusca did not allow me to kidnap Wata to send her to Doomie, who would then sell her to Mono and buy all his CDs back with the money. Allthough Ingrid appreciated the charitity aspect she said kidnapping people is wrong. Bummer...

www.lusca.de
http://lusca.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/luscaofficial
elrrek
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:58 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Really good show last night in Vienna.

Ufomammut were loud, powerful and trippy. 2nd time for me seeing this band, would definitely go again.

Amenra were good as I expected, they need to turn the gain up on their amps though. They reduced the amount of dirt used for 'Mass IIII' and while it does make things clearer it sometimes lacks ommfff.

Neurosis were also very good, miles better tham the 'Eye of Every Storm' show I saw and the only disappointing part of the show was when they played a song (maybe 2) off that record, it's the lowest point in their career for me and is just drivel. They played 2 new songs which were excellent.

The crowd was bizarre. It wasn't as much hero worship as Kyuss Lives and they were so restrained the tension was ridiculous. There was also this muppet near to me that actually asked a couple to stop talking so loud between songs (wtf?) And then when he decided to unleash the fury on the dance floor he had the cheek to get indignant about a large proportioned man who bumped into him in the normal course of 'pitting' and deliberatly and forceably kicked said man in the arse. He's lucky he didn't get his ass handed to him.

I can confirm that the Wata conversation took place. I can also confirm that my lady friend also expressed displeasure with the concept but that was mainly because she thought we were talking about her and didn't know who Wata was. Once that was cleared up it was still wrong.

avocado diaboli wrote:
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:36 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

elrrek wrote:
Really good show last night in Vienna.

Ufomammut were loud, powerful and trippy. 2nd time for me seeing this band, would definitely go again.

Amenra were good as I expected, they need to turn the gain up on their amps though. They reduced the amount of dirt used for 'Mass IIII' and while it does make things clearer it sometimes lacks ommfff.

Neurosis were also very good, miles better tham the 'Eye of Every Storm' show I saw and the only disappointing part of the show was when they played a song (maybe 2) off that record, it's the lowest point in their career for me and is just drivel. They played 2 new songs which were excellent.

The crowd was bizarre. It wasn't as much hero worship as Kyuss Lives and they were so restrained the tension was ridiculous. There was also this muppet near to me that actually asked a couple to stop talking so loud between songs (wtf?) And then when he decided to unleash the fury on the dance floor he had the cheek to get indignant about a large proportioned man who bumped into him in the normal course of 'pitting' and deliberatly and forceably kicked said man in the arse. He's lucky he didn't get his ass handed to him.

I can confirm that the Wata conversation took place. I can also confirm that my lady friend also expressed displeasure with the concept but that was mainly because she thought we were talking about her and didn't know who Wata was. Once that was cleared up it was still wrong.

Women are weird. Mono would never pay that much money for an austrian lady. It makes no sense.

Glad to hear Neurosis was good. I think "Eye..." is an awesome album btw.
I'm looking forward to seeing that on the 30th.

www.lusca.de
blackmark
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 am  Reply with quote

i think if you could encourage these ladies into a bit of reciprocal kidnapping they'd see its not as bad as its made out... runaway

elrrek
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:38 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Okay, before this gets out of hand, I'd like to clarify a few things:

1. neither Avo or I actually advocate or support kidnapping female or male persons
2. the whole episode was started by Avo so really it's his fault
3. the entire venture was in fact a plan to improve the situation of our man Doom-ster so therefore it could have been considered a charitable endeavour and therefore actually quite wholesome, the plan being:
3.1 "borrow" Wata
3.2 present Wata as a gift for Doomster
3.3 Doomster now sells Wata on ebay Chris-Mono for a sort of "sponsered guitar lesson" or something (I'm elaborating here on Avo's initial idea)
3.4 Wata finishes "sponsored event" with Chris-Mono and goes back to being Wata in real life
3.5. Doom-ster uses infeasibly large sum of money to replenish his music and electrical goods collection
4. Chris get's arrested for receiving stolen goods
5. Doom-ster get's a pass for being of unsound mind at the time through stress
6. Interpol rescinds all warrants for Avo and me due to our stellar work in combating attempted Canadian Zombie infestation of greater European land mass
7. Wata uses whole experience to write soem absolutely phenomenal riffs
8. blackmark explains what he actually means to the rest of us, none of us understand but mysteriously www.abductagentmulder.com suddenly goes live ...

avocado diaboli wrote:
blackmark
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am  Reply with quote

i, or a friend of mine who wishes to avoid prosecution, was merely suggesting that if wata wanted to kidnap me, just to try it out like, she would find me very "Stockholm syndrome" Twisted Evil

joeki
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 am  Reply with quote
Methuselah

I love the EoES. Too bad they never seem to play the title track.

elrrek
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:05 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

blackmark wrote:
i, or a friend of mine who wishes to avoid prosecution, was merely suggesting that if wata wanted to kidnap me, just to try it out like, she would find me very "Stockholm syndrome" Twisted Evil

Techno Viking!

Naughty, naughty boy.

avocado diaboli wrote:
nothinger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 am  Reply with quote

joeki wrote:
I love the EoES. Too bad they never seem to play the title track.

I heard it played once on a bootleg.
I love that album too, but don't think all of the songs there are to be played live - like Left to Wander, it's good track (especially last part), but I don't really want to hear it live anymore.
I'm very glad they played Season in the Sky, because I love it.
I never heard live Bridges though, which would surely kick ass.
klawful
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

i never expected to get so many laughs from a thread about shows.

stop it, my stomach hurts.

tomorrow night: helms alee/torche/big business
Monotremata
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

klawful wrote:
i never expected to get so many laughs from a thread about shows.

stop it, my stomach hurts.

^THIS..

Just to clarify I will gladly await jail time for receiving a stolen Wata..

theredhog
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="nothinger"]
joeki wrote:
I love that album too, but don't think all of the songs there are to be played live

Exactly how I feel about EoES, although I think the riff towards the end of Burn is one of the best they've ever written.

Ignoring the first two albums*, I view Neurosis like Godflesh in that the bulk of their best live show is ideally culled from their 'first' four albums.

*Good records in their own right, but not in-keeping with the definitive Neurosis sound.
Monotremata
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Hah I lol'ed the first time I heard Pain Of Mind (granted this was right after A Sun That Never Sets came out)

Last edited by Monotremata on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

elrrek
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:06 pm  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Monotremata wrote:
Hah I lol'ed the first time I heard Pain Of Mind (granted this was right after A Sun That Never Sets came out)

I lol'ed when I first heard EoES, and then I serioused, and then I cried.

avocado diaboli wrote:
Monotremata
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

MUHAHAHA!! I still dig it but its my least listened to. Most of the tracks take too long to go anywhere..

Oh and then fucking Bridges comes on and destroys your speakers if youre not careful.

Whats sad, I just noticed this morning when I was digging out the Pure 12", EoES is the ONLY piece of vinyl I have from them.. On a mission to find me some TSIB wax now.

Bernard
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Souls At Zero, Enemy Of The Sun and Through Silver In Blood are their golden era for me. And I'm also among the ones who think The Eye of Every Storm is their lowest point.

The good reviews here make me happy as next week I will see Neurosis live again after more than ten years. The last time I went to a Neurosis gig was in 99 during the tour with Voïvod and Today Is the Day.

Frankly, after having seen a lazy Scott Kelly during a very forgettable gig by Shrinebuilder at the last Roadburn I was very afraid that Neurosis would have lost the flame... which is not the case according to the reviews here (I still cross my fingers...).

Monotremata
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

One of the best shows I ever saw was Scott Kelly by himself with an acoustic guitar (and trucker hat of course) in this tiny ass bar in Hollywood. Good stuff, especially when the sound guy started fucking with him and turned on the smoke machine.

nothinger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

I saw him solo in February - I was shocked how nice and funny the guy was, chatting and joking between every song. Totally different person than with Neurosis onstage.
elrrek
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:47 am  Reply with quote
Enemy of the SCHWANZ

Bernard wrote:
The last time I went to a Neurosis gig was in 99 during the tour with Voïvod and Today Is the Day.

One of the most memorable gigs I have ever seen.

TitD had Brann Dailer on drums and he was incredible. Steve Austin was possessed by demons, it was awesome.

Neurosis struggled with equipmaent all night and STILL destryed everyone. They had the old guy doing visuals then and it was just amazing. Fucking awesome show.

Voivod was ... weird.

avocado diaboli wrote:
theredhog
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Odd show in London that one, as it was the day after the Paddington rail disaster as memory serves. On the train down there the rail folk had obviously decided to push the boat out and offer some distractions to travellers, and these took the form of free local newspapers...each featuring an eight page pull out from the crash.

Then, again memory might let me down, but there was a late venue change from LA2 to Garage, which meant I just caught the very arse-end of Voivod. Rest of the night was great though. That was actually the last time I saw any of the Leech Woman lads I think.
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 am  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

Traumatic tour for me. We had tickets for the Munich gig and spent a full 4 and half hours standing on the autobahn about 20km from Nürnberg because an oil truck had an accident. By the time the traffic jam moved it was almost midnight.

The fact that we had no food, one o,5 l bottle of water for three people and the driver decided to bring only one 60min tape of NY hardcore for the trip didn't add much.

I developed a sort of love/hate relationship to Agnostic Front and Madball that night.

www.lusca.de
Bernard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:50 am  Reply with quote

avocado diaboli wrote:
I developed a sort of love/hate relationship to Agnostic Front and Madball that night.
Smile

blackmark
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:54 am  Reply with quote

i was also down at that london date, enjoyed all of them really, not classic voivod but a rare opportunity gratefully received, TITD far better live than on record, neurosis massive but was already getting inclinations of them mellowing/spaceing out in comparison the previous tour (TSIB with Entombed and Breach). had my car/works vehicle broken into while at the gig, but the chavs didn't take anything as they were probably horrified with getting their shellsuits dirty from the absolute shittip they found inside!

Bernard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

blackmark wrote:
neurosis massive but was already getting inclinations of them mellowing/spaceing out in comparison the previous tour (TSIB with Entombed and Breach).

In France that tour was with Unsane. The first time I went to see Neurosis live and to this day still one of my 3 best live experiences!

Mothra
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:05 pm  Reply with quote
Board Sherlock

Gonna see Angel tonight, free show! It's Ilpo Väisänen (Pan Sonic) & Dirk Dresselhaus (Schneider TM) + a dancing performance by Tomoko Nakasato.

Link To The YouTube Page Containing The Above Video

my music/label / label #2 /jkb activities / jkb fan blog
avocado diaboli
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:08 pm  Reply with quote
Darth Tedious

Bernard wrote:
blackmark wrote:
neurosis massive but was already getting inclinations of them mellowing/spaceing out in comparison the previous tour (TSIB with Entombed and Breach).

In France that tour was with Unsane. The first time I went to see Neurosis live and to this day still one of my 3 best live experiences!

I think they toured twice for TSIB.

At least I remember seeing them here in Nürnberg with Unsane and Fetish 69 and shortly after in Berlin with ENtombed and Breach.

www.lusca.de
Monotremata
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Bernard wrote:

Now THAT wouldve been a killer show. JMA saw them on that tour too I believe.
Hes rubbed it in my face before.. Very Happy

theredhog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

blackmark wrote:
i was also down at that london date, enjoyed all of them really, not classic voivod but a rare opportunity gratefully received, TITD far better live than on record, neurosis massive but was already getting inclinations of them mellowing/spaceing out in comparison the previous tour (TSIB with Entombed and Breach). had my car/works vehicle broken into while at the gig, but the chavs didn't take anything as they were probably horrified with getting their shellsuits dirty from the absolute shittip they found inside!

They were big shows. It was our chat pre that show that planted the seed for them to do Grace and Times of Grace as an experiment (that was the Stoke date). Nice vibe actually - the Iron Monkey lads and the lads from Shallow were about. Was only soured by my then missus dropping stone dead for a couple of minutes during Breach. Dragged her outside with Todd who was doing Neurosis' merch at the time, no pulse ni nada, then she came to, had a sit down with some water for the night, and by the time we left she knocked back a huge Chinese as if nowt had happened.
saxenhammer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Went to a "Hangars Liquides label night" in Glasgow last night. The sound system was pretty trashy, way too much high end and I had no ear plugs so I am deaf as a post today.

But I got to enjoy a few hours of harsh, psychedelic, full on electronic music of a type you will get nowhere else.

garlicwav
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:22 pm  Reply with quote
Monster

Bernard wrote:

I missed them on that tour and I had to wait more than 10 years before finally seeing Neurosis live. It was worth the wait : awesome show.

chickenf1sh
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:50 pm  Reply with quote
Chickenf1sh

I think I'll be avoiding Neurosis live as, judging by the stories on here, bad shit happens to you!